BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I ran into this problem, I left my car sitting for close to 2 days, and it completely drained the battery.

I used a multimeter and found that there was a 7Ah draw when car is off/everything turned off.
I was able to stop the draw by pulling the glove box light fuse.
Now the problem is that, I believe this also controls the interior lights and courtesy lights, as they dont work anymore.

Worth mentioning that I also changed the interior lights to LED's - is it possible that the battery drain was caused by these LED's? As I didnt have any issues prior to this, and from waht I know, LED's draw significantly less power so its hard to imagine this being the cause?

Im still driving around with no interior lights as I dont want to put the fuse back in and risk another battery drain.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or knows more about electrical systems to shed some light on this?

Obviously I can just go back to regular light bulbs, but was hoping to keep the white LED's instead.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My 2002 e53 came with all LED interior light fitted and no battery drain.
Not any help but i cant see why it should drain your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which fuse did you pull?
The interior lights should be turned off automatically after 15 mins anyway.
It was fuse Nr. 27 - Glove box fuse

The problem is the interior lights dont come on at all. Not when opening the doors, or anything, which makes me think that this fuse also controls that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuse 27 is one of the fuses that powers the A1 General body module. It controls dozens of switches, motors and lights. If something is not letting the module go to sleep, it will drain the battery. If you read any error codes that are stored you might get a direction in which to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
Worth mentioning that I also changed the interior lights to LED's - is it possible that the battery drain was caused by these LED's? As I didnt have any issues prior to this, and from waht I know, LED's draw significantly less power so its hard to imagine this being the cause?
Is it jut me or might you be on to something if this problem just came after installing those LEDs. If the LEDs are good quality they will consume less than basic filament bulbs. But poor quality LEDs can also be a root cause to many electrical problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife has a 2008 320D and you cannot use LED trailer lights as the car does not recognise them. I imagine the same would apply to an older model. I would not discount the option that it is the LEDs. Only sure way to find out is re-insert the fuse with LEDs in place and note if drain continues. Then simply disconnect LEDs or re-insert incandescent bulbs. If drain ceases its the LEDs at fault.

During a repair at a bodyshop, the key was left in the ignition of our car (ignition not on) and the battery was fully drained as a result. As it was in the shop for over a month, the battery was completely ruined. There's a lit still powered up even on 'stand by'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LCM - Light Module

IT's common problem. Light module left side kick panel has water leaked in it. Nothing to do with LED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the same problem, would like to know the answer to what is draining the battery. It seems completely random with my car, sometimes it drains the battery every few days, sometimes months can pass and nothing happens.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was able to stop the draw by pulling the glove box light fuse.
Is the light in the glove box burning. There should be a lever that is depressed that will switch the light off when the glove box is closed. Just depress the lever to see if the light goes of once the switch is pressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To check if your car is going to sleep after 16 minutes, look at the orange light by the gearstick, that will remain on for 16 minutes then go out if it doesn’t go out that means there is something drawing current and therefore stopping the vehicle going to sleep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts