BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I had my tracking done yesterday and i was told it was 2 mm out so they adjusted it but now while driving the steering wheel has to be offset to drive straight? how can i get this sorted out?

is it the garages gauges out and should i take it to another garage?

I had everything else checked by bmw and all is ok!, would it be because the tyres are worn were the tracking was out before?

Cheers

Stu

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hi Stu, it sounds like they didnt clamp the steering wheel when they adjusted the tracking. I would go back and have a moan because the only other way to adjust the wheel is to remove the airbag then move the wheel :frown
They should have clamped the wheel in the straight ahead position and tracked both side equally to keep the wheel straight. :thumbsup

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stu, it sounds like they didnt clamp the steering wheel when they adjusted the tracking. I would go back and have a moan because the only other way to adjust the wheel is to remove the airbag then move the wheel :frown
They should have clamped the wheel in the straight ahead position and tracked both side equally to keep the wheel straight. :thumbsup

no the wheel was just put straight and thats it :mad

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
no the wheel was just put straight and thats it :mad

I agree with Steve, they have not done it right mate........take it back.

They have have I few attempts before they get the wheel spot on. Its not un-common for alignment centres to keep having to fione tune it to centre this wheel.

...........If you can't be asked with taking it back, which you really should mate, you could just remove the wheel and centre it up:D

Did that on the other half's E46 last week.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had my tracking done yesterday and i was told it was 2 mm out so they adjusted it but now while driving the steering wheel has to be offset to drive straight? how can i get this sorted out?

is it the garages gauges out and should i take it to another garage?

I had everything else checked by bmw and all is ok!, would it be because the tyres are worn were the tracking was out before?

Cheers

Stu
I agree with Steve, they have not done it right mate........take it back.

They have have I few attempts before they get the wheel spot on. Its not un-common for alignment centres to keep having to fione tune it to centre this wheel.

...........If you can't be asked with taking it back, which you really should mate, you could just remove the wheel and centre it up:D

Did that on the other half's E46 last week.

I have performed many adjustments on all types of vehicle and the most crucial factor is that the steering wheel was centralised correctly.

Out of interest, do you know if the engine was running whilst the adjustment was being made?

Who did it for you Stu? PM me if you like:thumbsup

A steering wheel that is not central is a clear indication that the alignment is out or has been set incorrectly. Moving the steering wheel is just hiding the problem and not actually rectifying it...

Come to think of it Stu, perhaps you should give it a go:hihi You may get it wrong and get a smack in the chops from the Air Bag:rofl

:lol:lol:lol

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have performed many adjustments on all types of vehicle and the most crucial factor is that the steering wheel was centralised correctly.

Out of interest, do you know if the engine was running whilst the adjustment was being made?

Who did it for you Stu? PM me if you like:thumbsup

A steering wheel that is not central is a clear indication that the alignment is out or has been set incorrectly. Moving the steering wheel is just hiding the problem and not actually rectifying it...

Come to think of it Stu, perhaps you should give it a go:hihi You may get it wrong and get a smack in the chops from the Air Bag:rofl

:lol:lol:lol

.........OK Guy's, just to clarify with the "taking off" the wheel:

Stu, that was not a serious suggestion dude:D

Like Rym said, if you get it wrong- it could be disasterous..........so please don't try.

It's just something that I have had to resort to a few times where cars have come in to us, where either the customers themselves or other garage's have put a new rack in and not centralised the rack before installing- result is the tracking is obviously a mile off and is now where at all in relation to the wheel.

I personally have no probs in removing airbags AND DO take ALL precausions when doing so........and being the super star that I am- only takes me about 30 secs to remove a beemer wheel + airbag:D - this is a quick fix but as RYm said, wont solve problem-

Take the car back dude- get them to do it properly.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i thought the wheel goes off centre when the monkey only adjusts one track rod end and not both???
i think they've cut corners here and if it were my car i would be seriously p'eed off about it...take it back;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.