BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got a e46 clocking 150k miles, and have the eml on. I've used a ODB reader to check the code readout and can only find the P3263. I've looked through the forum and so far everything I've seen is related to swirly flaps, however I don't have any (I think)

When I brought the car alot of work (with receipts) had been done including, new turbo, new clutch and flywheel, recon gearbox, aswell as an engine rebuild, including timing chains, valves and rocker arms, and allegedly the swirlflaps removed, although this part itself isn't listed on the receipt. So I've got a couple questions;

1) is there any easy way to check for swirl flaps existence??
2) could it be anything else!??

I'm gonna clean the egr and MAF tommorrow as I'm unsure when this was last done anyway, also the car has been remaped and decat, and has no problems running.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Was the light on when you got the car
I left the pipe to the swirl flap actuator connected when i had mine taken out t stop the light coming on.
Is this pipe still connected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah it wasnt on, also as far as im aware this model has the electrical activated swirl flap thing (according to some forum posts, i havent checked). After clearing the code, it doesnt normally come back straight away, it takes a little while of driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll have a check then, I'll Ave to get the inlet manifold off and double check the flaps are gone just for my peace of mind aswell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the 2004 320d and it's not electrical activated.
I have a 2004 M57N 330d and it is electronically activated. But I've also had a 2003 M57N 330d and it wasn't electronically actuated. And I've had a 2005 M57N 530d and it wasn't electronically actuated.

As far as I can tell, electronically actuated swirl flaps are rare, but they do exist. It's not like they all changed though and there was a changover date - many later cars (such as E90, E60, X3 and X5) with M57N and M57N2 engines use vacuum flaps.

Jon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the info, I guess the only real way to be sure is to have a look!? I'm gonna try get a copy laptop and sort inpa out to get a proper readout so see if I'm missing anything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
SO I managed to get INPA sorted and have a proper look and these are the codes it pulled off;

3F48 BREAK-TEST-SWITCH
4B11(1279) ROUGH CONTROLLER
4242 - GLOW PLUG X6 - ONE FOR EACH CYLINDER
4203 - GLOW PLUG CONTROLL UNIT

the P3263 was listed against a MAF sensor, which I would have already cleaned if it wasn't for the amazon delivery guy...anyway so i cleared these faults and the only one to immediately come back is the Glow Plug Control Unit, which doesn't trigger the EML. I have started the engine and still nothing, but after a work tomorrow ill hook it up again and see where im at.

Am i to assume that my glow plug controller will need a change given the quick re-occurrence of the fault code?

Thanks again

Edit- Also do you think I should change the glow plugs along with the control unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those that are Intrested, I changed the glow plug controller and all the glow plugs while I had the intake off, which cleared all the glow plug errors. I then swapped out the MAF to a later model Bosch one which solved the other error. So far so good:)

·
5,888 Posts
Also do you think I should change the glow plugs along with the control unit?
Its allways a good idea to change the plugs when changing the controller.

·
Registered
2010 330d e90, 2008 M3 e92
2,493 Posts
Nah it's pointless unless at least 1 glow plug is dead, unless you have to take the inlet man off to do the controller?

My car's done 170k now & still on the original ctrlr ;), changed g/plugs a while back though, 1 was dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts