BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive got an anoying rattling noise coming from the bottom of my car 330 ci coupe ive checked the exhast and the dust plates behind the discs,i can only hear it when the windows down,it happens when i go over a bumpy surface.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be as its driving me nuts

Cheers

Gaz

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hi Gaz. Ive added your vehicle details to the thread and moved it to the E46 section for you where you may get a better response.....:thumbsup

First things to check are the rear coils springs as these are common fro snapping the bottom coils....:frown
Also check that the brake pads are not loose in the caliper and carrier as these can cause rattling noises....:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Is it a tinny rattling noise or could it be described as a knocking or thudding noise???

Anti roll links on the front anti roll bar may also rattle when worn:thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello,

Ive got an anoying rattling noise coming from the bottom of my car 330 ci coupe ive checked the exhast and the dust plates behind the discs,i can only hear it when the windows down,it happens when i go over a bumpy surface.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be as its driving me nuts

Cheers

Gaz
Gaz,

I have just got exactly the same thing happen (2002 E46 320 4 door saloon). Only hear it when windows down and no music on and over a bumpy surface. Took car to kwik fit i.e. up on ramps and let them pull around with the exhaust and hang of anything else they could. Nothing appered to be loose. Did you have any more joy finding out what the problem was?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2005 E46 330ci M Sport - rattling noise from underneath

Guys,

I haver got exactly the same issue - serious 'rattling noise' coming from under my 2005 330ci M Sport coupe. Has been in several times to the quick fitters, on ramps test driven etc etc, they can hear the noise but can't find where it is coming from ! Only makes the noise going over bumps, which is nearly always with the state of the roads, but it does stop when you brake. I think it is loose brake calipers, but they check out OK.

Anyone got any solutions ?

Thanks Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I had this problem on purchasing my car....the following thread pointed me in the right direction-
1999 E46 318i Metallic rattle when driving over bumps
- mine turned out to be pads rattling in the caliper carrier due to wear in the part - the local garage welded small nibs onto the pads and ground off any excess to take up the excessive play - cost £20 for a perfect result! Worth a try!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
I had this problem on purchasing my car....the following thread pointed me in the right direction-
- mine turned out to be pads rattling in the caliper carrier due to wear in the part - the local garage welded small nibs onto the pads and ground off any excess to take up the excessive play - cost £20 for a perfect result! Worth a try!
That was my thread- and I think my problem is the same as yours! when I pulled off my drive today, I didn't pull off 'square' and the near side rear wheel caught the high bit of the kerb. As it bounced back onto the road, I heard the rattle! As I drove down the road I tried braking, and the rattle stopped, so I'm pretty sure its a loose brake pad - I've got a welder and am pretty handy with it - do you know where the garage welded the nibs on the pads? Or is there another fix I could try?

I've never had this problem in any other cars I've had! :eek

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
if you think its the pads change the pads to OEM if they are not already instead of mucking about welding they are not going to break the bank at around 30 quid a set..

some pads are notorious rattlers aswell ferrodo is one of them i know of..

OEM are the right size with the right shape and have the anti squeel rubber shims too..

something a lot of after market pads are not and dont have..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorted :thumbsup Just welded a couple of tiny nibs on each end of the brake pad, took about 20 secs for each one (the pads had loads of life left in them) - put them back on - no more rattles :)

job took about 30 mins in total so def worth checking out if your car sounds like a baby rattle...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good news! but dailydoggy makes a very valid point to avoid the subconcious idea that somehow it has been 'bodged'
Very true - but I have an exceptional ability to block out any thoughts of my car being 'bodged' :D

Seriously though, with something like that, it isn't really a bodge. To put a blob of weld at the end of the pad (thereby making it a lasting, proper repair) isn't a bodge in my book. The pads fit perfectly. A bodge is stuffing a panel full of filler or using cable ties instead of a proper clamp etc...

Besides, its Sunday afternoon and I HATE spending time (and money) working on old cars - If i'd have bought 2 sets of brake pads i'd of had to of started messing around with the O/S rear wheel as well :shifty:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorted :thumbsup Just welded a couple of tiny nibs on each end of the brake pad, took about 20 secs for each one (the pads had loads of life left in them) - put them back on - no more rattles :)

job took about 30 mins in total so def worth checking out if your car sounds like a baby rattle...
I, instead of welding, peined the ends of the pads (use a ball pein hammer) to make the pads a little longer. So easy, so quick. I believe the carriers wear (after 144,000 miles in my case) and the pads therefore are looser than a new setup,

Len.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had this about 2 months ago, turned out to be the pins and springs that hold the handbrake shoes to dust sheild, they had popped out and were banging around inside the disc

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.