BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Really need some advice, was doing a bit of spirited driving at the weekend and suddenly noticed the DDE glow plug light come on so pulled over thinking that ill switch the car off and on and it will disappear. Turned the ignition back on and the DDE light remained on, tried to start and the car just turned, it has now been recovered and is sat on my drive.

Roadside recovery said that its the fuel pump however I can hear the fuel pump on ignition, the only difference is that the FP stays on longer than usual as I compared it to a mates which switches off after about 10 seconds on ignition, mine seems to stay on for around a minute and you can hear some weird sounds from the tank area like its trying to send fuel through the lines but it sounds weird like you can hear the fuel trying to move through the lines (sounds like that anyway)

I had a mate connect to diagnostics and have two error codes:

4B90 - Rail pressure low (I am guessing this is the issue)
4203 - Glow plug control module (this has been there for a few month so definitely not the issue)

Could it be the fuel pump in the tank that is at fault? I can hear it whirring but it stays on for longer than normal on ignition - could this be a fault with the pump?

I am stuck as the car is on my drive so ideally want to DIY it as opposed to trailer to garage.

I don't want to start changing parts for the hell of it but don't have much choice at the moment, what would be the best thing to do at this point?

Change the low pressure fuel pump in tank? (can get one from the breakers for £25)

Change the fuel pressure sensor? Is this simple to do?

Check the fuel filter?

I am fairly competent with a spanner but have not had the experience of changing any of these so will be a case of getting direction from all of you and you tube :p.

Apologies for the length of this post, hope to get some speedy responses.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
How much fuel you have in tank? Can you hear the inline fuel pump running (under passenger front seat area)? Both electrical fuel pumps run for 60 sec when ignition turned to pos.2, both pumps are supplied thru the same relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quarter tank fuel, not sure I have ever heard the inline one so not sure what it should sound like. is there a way to get to this to ensure it is working?

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically if I fill it with 10 litres (the fuel light isn't on yet) regardless of issues with the low pressure pump it will start? If it doesn't start it indicates the inline pump?

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
So basically if I fill it with 10 litres (the fuel light isn't on yet) regardless of issues with the low pressure pump it will start? If it doesn't start it indicates the inline pump?
Most likely so. On saddle tank the remaining fuel will be on the other (left) side if in tank fuel pump isn't working. The suction force of inline fuel pump is enough if there is fuel on the right side of the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After half talk all the fuel will be in the right hand tank though, it's not the in tank pump that controls which side it sits in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The link that you sent appears to be the fuel filter which is accessed from underneath the car right? Or is this an additional pump?

The fuel filter on my vehicle appears to be exactly set up as per the image on the link you sent.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
Mainly the siphon from left to right works by the fuel flow provided by in tank pump (fuel return is guided to intake side of inline fuel pump). Only after fuel temp rises the return flow is guided back into tank and will force the siphon from left to right.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
The link that you sent appears to be the fuel filter which is accessed from underneath the car right? Or is this an additional pump?

The fuel filter on my vehicle appears to be exactly set up as per the image on the link you sent.
Both fuel filter and inline fuel pump should be there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so this evening I will top up the diesel and give it a ago although I'm unsure this will make a difference. In order to test the in tank pump could I disconnect the supply hose to the fuel filter and turn ignition to see if anything comes out? This would indicate that it works right?

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
In order to test the in tank pump could I disconnect the supply hose to the fuel filter and turn ignition to see if anything comes out? This would indicate that it works right?
You can do that. There should be plenty of fuel with 4 bar pressure when both pumps are activated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so good news, got it started by filling 10 litres, I checked through obd and all fuel was sitting in left side. Filled it up and connected jump leads as felt like battery was getting weak, didn't start a few times without the leads then with the leads after about 10 seconds cranking it fired. So now I have filled it with more fuel and hoping it won't fail to start in the morning, question is do I change the pump or is it a sender fault?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - the car cut out again, I have now replaced the in tank fuel pump but it still won't start, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you manage to fix this? I have a similar Issue. I replaced the fuelpump it worked for about a week and now its back som same thing. Crank no start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts