BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have no idea if these issues are related at all, so will list everything in case they are. Hope someone can help.

To start with:

Several months ago my speakers all died except for the front left. The one speaker that did work, worked fine. No noises. At the same time, I noticed my battery was struggling to start the car, and the alternator began squealing fairly loud. The alternator noise was fairly inconsistent however, sometimes it squealed, sometimes it didn't. Bizarrely, if it was squealing, simply turning the engine off and on again would completely stop it. What's up with that?

Anyhow, I had the BM54 amp module rebuilt and installed a new battery. I figured perhaps the dying battery was overworking the alt, hence the squeal. Turns out the battery that came out was the same one that shipped with the car in 2004!

The dash was noticeably brighter with the new battery, car started easily, and the speakers all worked fine after the BM54 rebuild. Hurray! Or not... Now the speakers all have interference playing through them whether the radio is turned on or off. Strangely, this noise gets quieter when throttle is applied.

And the alternator is still squealing intermittently, even with a new battery.

Any ideas chaps? Think the problems are related?

Do I need a new alternator? Take the BM54 back to the workshop, perhaps an earth fault?

All help appreciated. My car has the Valeo alternator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this.
I have a valeo as well.
I've pulled fuses 7,41 so no radio/nav and alternator still whines.
Voltages look good 14V at idle, car pulls strong and starts easily.
I also get the whine coming through the speakers - all 4
Stumped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts