BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya All
im a newbie on here and wish to ask for some tech advice
i have the car above in title and when driven always seem to tram line the road a fair bit
i have change the large bushes behind the front arms (rear wishbones bushes) for genuine ones and still does the same...
its runs 18's which were std and brigdestone Potenza tryes...its only done 30k miles and this is casuing me some discomfort....
any suggestions or similar experiences ....
thanks in advance!!!
regards

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
At that mileage I wouldn't expect any serious suspension comonent failures, and you have done one of the most essential things the control arm bushes.

Provided there is no other play in the suspension bushes/links/mounts (BMWs can shoot these components in 40,000 miles with ease!), I would mot certainly have the wheel alignment professionally set up using the 4 wheel infra red/laser computerised systems. These will set you toeing and camcers, both front & rear! this should cost circa £50.

My 328i tracks amazingly with a complete suspension overhaul beign done for teh sake of it and the alignemtn being checked every 6 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hiya
there is sometimes a creak / knock when im reversing on full lock which suggests a top mount on one side, but i was gonna get a tracking set up done first to see if that eliminates the prob....
thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hiya
there is sometimes a creak / knock when im reversing on full lock which suggests a top mount on one side, but i was gonna get a tracking set up done first to see if that eliminates the prob....
thanks

As DSK says mate, I would get the front components checked and if all is ok get a 4 wheel alignment done.

but that knock you get when reversing under full lock............funnily enough, had an E46 come in yesterday with the same- turned out it was the front wishbone lower ball joints.........u mentioned u only changed the bushes- your ball joints maybe shot dude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As DSK says mate, I would get the front components checked and if all is ok get a 4 wheel alignment done.

but that knock you get when reversing under full lock............funnily enough, had an E46 come in yesterday with the same- turned out it was the front wishbone lower ball joints.........u mentioned u only changed the bushes- your ball joints maybe shot dude.
hiya there
was that one side or both sides of the ball joints?
ta

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
You say you are running on Bridgestones.

Have a look at the inner edges on the fronts, these wore whenever I ran Bridgestones on my E46's, and my E92 and on my Fiat 500 for that matter.

As soon as they start to wear you start to get tramlining.

I have had this on RE040's and RE050's and RE050 RFT's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts