BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everyones opinion seems split between nakered turbo and the oil separator breather thingy i have lots of other symptoms power loose, excessive smoke etc so im assuming turbo is on its way out.

Thanks everyone for offering thoughts towards my problem much appreciated.!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does the noise come from the back end or from under the bonnet?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
If you've nothing good to say ....................................:rofl

The 2004 turbos are meant to be more reliable than the earlier ones :shifty:
Didnt they change something with the turbo late 2002/03 iirc?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If its the exact same noise as the video then it sounds like an air leak-check all the hoses form the turbo, fingers crossed its just a split hose!....

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Didnt they change something with the turbo late 2002/03 iirc?
During Sep 2003 the E46 320d changed from vacuum controlled Turbos to electronic controlled units, part of complying with EU4 emission regs.

Yours is EU4 isn't it Seb, i believe it should say so on V5 doc :thumbsup

·
Registered
229 Posts
Blue smoke usually means oil, so maybe the seals are on the way out, or as slowtech says the turbo controller??
also when was the crankcase breather filter last changed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the crankcase breather has never been changed and the cars done 150k!! i never new anything about it until researching my problem.. i do look after the car i service it every 6k using the best synthetic oil. i was just never made aware of this breather thing.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
During Sep 2003 the E46 320d changed from vacuum controlled Turbos to electronic controlled units, part of complying with EU4 emission regs.

Yours is EU4 isn't it Seb, i believe it should say so on V5 doc :thumbsup
Ill have a check on the V5...:thumbsup

Thats right I remember at the time of buying, I had to increase my budget as I wanted a 04 plate + because of this reason.

Saying that, I know that theres so many of the forum guys who have been trouble free...:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts