BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E46 320d touring air con belt

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  alan7869 
#1 ·
Can anybody help, I,ve been on realoem, and checked with the dealers against my chassis number and it shows the air con drive belt as a strech fit ribbed belt that just runs between the crank drive pulley and the air con pulley, come to fit it and mine has a tensioner on the belt also ( on the bottom run). Been back on realoem and it does show this set up but doesent give any part numbers as it says it isn't fitted on my year of vehicle ( my build date is nov 2004) any ideas anybody please :confused:confused:confused

#2 ·
If your build date is correct, then you should have an M47N engine with ribbed belt on the crank pulley. The older M47 engines have a tensioner set up using a 5PKX836 ribbed belt. BMW part number for that is 64557786171. Are you able to check the engine code so we can verify?

#3 ·
How it came about was as I was changing the main and egr stat due to underheating (74 deg max) I thought I would change the aux belts too, all the parts I bought ( ie stats, filters, crankcase breather, etc ) were right. Now when I read the how to's on here for doing the stats it mentioned having to take the fan and shroud off, got mine stripped down and its an electric fan so didn't need taking off and that threw me a bit. the V5 says ..variant AP72, version EURO4 31.. (engine number 86445804)... if it helps when I de-flapped it , it had the 4.5mm spindles BUT had the old loo roll crankcase breather ??? Have I got an oddball car here, is it the 150 bhp or the older engine ? It should definately have just the 2 pulleys for the a/c aux belt but it has got a tensioner pulley on the bottom run between the crank and a/c pulley..Mine should have 4pk895sf (stretch fit) but this is obviously too short,, the older set up you mentioned 5pk836 would be even shorter (836mm against 895mm) im baffled now..

#4 ·
I have played about on realoem and if I put a build date in 3 months earlier than on my cars sticker then it shows the set up I have got with a 968mm belt and tensioner...could it be the engine was built a couple of months before the cars build date before they changed to the stretch belt ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.