BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone can help please i am really lost with this, my E46 temperature drops as soon as i apply the heaters even though the needle is in the middle once the temp drops it does eventually go back into the middle but it takes a while 15-20 minutes usually, its really effecting my MPG this winter i'm getting like 25-27 at best. I have changed x2 behr egr thermostats and a genuine OE BMW thermostat it's almost like it losing heat from somewhere i also have a very small coolant leak i don't know if it's related every 3 months sometimes longer the coolant light comes back on and needs topping up but i just top it up when required. I have bled the system about 5 times and used INPA to show any error codes but i get no error codes, also i have used the hidden digital temperature obc meter and it's consistent with the needle so when the needle drops the digital temperature sensor drops aswell. When the car is eventually warm the temperature gets up-to between 83-87, if i drive it like a madman i can get a consistent 95+ degrees.

I have also ran a "test" i left the car running on idle about 45 minutes with the heaters on full blast and the car temperature only reaches the first bar and max temp of between 62-64 when i turned the heater off after 45 minutes it reached the middle in about 10-15 minutes with a temperature of 83-86 then dropped to about 70 when i turned them back on it's very strange, can somebody out there please help me i don't know what else it could be apart from the thermostats any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou - John

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Long time ago when the wooly mammoths were about, it used to be fairly common practice to shield off part of the radiators in deep dark winters :)

Thermostats in the right way round?
Cos it sounds like you have too much cooling, way too much.....

·
5,893 Posts
Is the water valve working?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coolant mixture is 50/50 and been properly bled on a few occasions after coolant change, Hi edber what do you mean by the water valve? thanks for your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts