BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what the life span a turbo is??? my car has done 105k with regular service history, i always let it warm up and cool down before turning off,, the car feels really good and pulls very well, how can you tell when its getting tired??:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
how long's a peice of string mate

keep doing what your doing re: warm up and warm down :thumbsup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,, i know early e46 suffered with shitty turbos but were unsure of 2004 ones, also would remap put it under strain or mate no difference,,

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
gonna make some difference to it as it will boosting at higher pressure for more of the time to develope the increased power and torque, mapping a 100k car tho? i would question my own thought proccess tho unless ide owned and serviced it all its life..

can be offset with thorough and decent servicing tho and no going mental on the tune up..

couple of 2004 turbo's have gone recently on here 1 had done 150k not sure on the other..

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yes it is a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

The only personal experience I've had of a turbo failing is on a tractor on a farm I used to work on. Tractors instead of Milage clocks have hour clocks it had done over 9000hrs before the turbo failed (seals went then the bearing). My cars done roughly 5000hrs (worked out by dividing average speed it's done against Milage) so in that theory it's got plenty of life left.

However my brothers golf turbo seized up at about 70000 miles.

Keep doing what your doin.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all your help guys, i were little concered as i had a mondeo st off from the lights last nite, i were well happy

·
Registered
153 Posts
by the doing a remap it will put strain on it because you will make the turbo fan spin quicker by turn up the psi

on these turbo's euro4 ones they run max of 20 psi speed when i got my remap i told him i dont want the turbo to run on 20 psi so i told him to do it at 18 psi instead of 20 psi because i didnt want to put strain on it

·
Registered
153 Posts
190bhp quicker than 330d 184bhp one haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts