BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retro Fitting Xenon Headlamps to E46.

Hi everyone,

Am a newbie to the forum and this is my first question so please forgive me if this has already been answered (several times) before?!

I did a search but it didn't bring up anything constructive.

I have a fairly simple question. Can the Bi-Xenon headlamps from E46 coupe or saloon fit/ work on a E46 (320d M-sport) without factory fitted Xenon's headlamps?

If so, is it a fairly straight forward job? i.e. are the plugs the same? or does the conversion require cutting wires etc??

Thanks,
Af

·
Registered
210 Posts
not sure on the answers but what I can offer is:

You can buy after market HID conversion kits which will have all the instructions you need in them (there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about it, in fact).

By law you should have headlamp washer jets if you have HIDs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have after market HIDs on my other car. But the light is far more directional with the projector headlamps and IMO looks a lot better too.

HIDs would probably be the cheaper alternative but I would like to know about fitting the correct headlamps if possible.

As with regards to the Law, I think it's a bit of a grey area. I think it's a manufacturing law, so to speak. So when car manufacturers produce cars they're obliged to fit washers. however, I've not know of anyone (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) who has been refused an MOT due to having Xenon's and no washers. usually if a car fails MOT due to Xenon's/ HIDs it because of the beam pattern. Possibly no kink in the light to the left (in this country) which is supposed to light the verge.

I've imported cars from Japan before, where there is no such requirement and have had to have washers fitted or the Xenons removed to pass the SVA test.

Either way, I'd like to know if the headlamps can be fitted and if it's simple to do so?!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The car cannot be failed on the MOT for not having washers fitted for the Xenons, no such ruling at all so nowt to worry about at MOT time

·
Registered
51 Posts
The car cannot be failed on the MOT for not having washers fitted for the Xenons, no such ruling at all so nowt to worry about at MOT time
Thanks for that Ronnie!!! Everyone please read this!!! The last HID upgrade post I made, I was bombarded with people telling me what I am about to do is ILLEGAL!

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
the oem parts to fit an e46 work out very expensive,even on ebay.
its a popular mod,but i'm afraid i dont know whether its plug n play...sorry.
however,if you look for fk automotive(depo) headlights then the conversion does become plug n play at about a third of the cost.
they are available with a chrome insert,like mine...or stock looking ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
328mark, thanks for that. what sort of quality are they? I prefer the 'OME+' look so ideally would like to go for standard ones if I can find them for a reasonable price. I know there are some on ebay right now for about £500. But I'm in no hurry.

How much did you get the ones in the pic for? Do they come with Xenon bulbs/ Ballasts or is it just the headlamp with the projectors and you have to add a HID kit?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts