BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my E46 320d (150bhp) for around 5mths and have very recently become a member here. Car registered 10/03/04. Current mileage 37k, full dealer service history, oil service in 9000 miles.

I've read through posts about the main problems to look out for regarding my engine type and I know this topic has been done to death but looking for fresh posts mainly because mine falls around the change over year.

Can anyone help with the following-

I'm pretty sure mine will have the later modified turbo?

Will my car have the later style oil breather for the turbo?

Is it worth looking into the egr cleaning/swirl flap removal?

Any help much appreciated plus any important area's I've missed:thumbsup

·
Registered
116 Posts
keep the car serviced and make sure you change your oil regulary, im sure all this talk of swirl flaps and egr valves is a minority and all it does is make you worry too much. lets really think how many BMW cars have been made and how many have had swirl flaps problems reported. im sure its very few problems. unless someone can proove me wrong.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I largely agree with the above - I've mentioned it before but lets not forget there are more E46's than there are Mondeos of the same age. If every person who hadn't had the swirl flap issue had posted somewhere in cyberspace to say they hadn't had a prob, you'd never find the ones who have.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can anyone help with the following-

I'm pretty sure mine will have the later modified turbo?

Will my car have the later style oil breather for the turbo?

Is it worth looking into the egr cleaning/swirl flap removal?
I've just bought the exact year and month model> 21/03/2004, Not sure on the turbo but from lots of reading, its cars built before november 2003 that are affected! I've read at least 30 posts stating the same thing!.

My car had the little toilet roll oil breather filter (old type) which i changed for the newer vortex type one. (37 pounds) dealer only part.

I have also removed the swirl flaps which were the 4mm older flaps and not the uprated 4.5mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.