BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently had the dreaded swirl flap problem. Started a few months back on me way home, suddenly had loss of power, so pulled over then heard a mettalic rattling noise from the engine. After revving a few times it disappeared and drove normally after that. However i did notice the car wasn't starting as normal. Got it checked at a garage and the swirl flap fault was found, had blanking plugs fitted but no sign of missing flap! The garage test drove it and said it seemed ok, this was the case until now. When i heard the dreaded rattling noise again. This time however the engine felt like it was gonna come out of the car so switched of straight away. Removed the head (what a night mare that was) anyway foundthe missing flap sitting on top of No1 piston. Had the head checked and the valves re seated and apart from a bit of pitting no major damage all cleaned up ok. Same with the pistons a bit of pitting and denting but no holes or crack's. So i'm hoping that i might have got away with it fingers crossed. Can post pics before i reassemble if anyone wants to give a second verdict.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hello welcome :thumbsup

Yep post some pics, best go buy a lottery ticket! You've got some good luck.

Will of put some nasty shock loads through the piston con rod and crank so longevity of those parts might be shortened? But sounds like you did the correct thing in turning it of asap when that happend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2004 320d E46 wont start after rebuild

Hi all,
Finally rebuilt the engine after the swirl flap fiasco!
Only trouble is car wont start? \had to remove the battery as it had gone flat, topped up oil and water levels dont think i've forgot to connect something.
Anyway engine turns over but wont start, also the heater fan is not working no matter what setting its on! The oil light stays on as does the engine management light.
Any help please, as after all the hard work would like to hear the car running again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi all,
Finally rebuilt the engine after the swirl flap fiasco!
Only trouble is car wont start? \had to remove the battery as it had gone flat, topped up oil and water levels dont think i've forgot to connect something.
Anyway engine turns over but wont start, also the heater fan is not working no matter what setting its on! The oil light stays on as does the engine management light.
Any help please, as after all the hard work would like to hear the car running again.
Might want to start a new thread matey that way people will see it rather than a swirl flap problem :)

Im clueless on the diesels but im sure someone will jump in soon :)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
diagnostics equipment required..

worth checking fuses tho if youve had an engine failure tho..

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, gutted for you! such a common problem Im afraid :mad

Will keep my fingers crossed for you! If all is well defo go buy yourself a scratchcard!! :cool

·
Registered
17 Posts
had exactly the same fault mate....rebuilt my engine and couldnt start it...went on for ages and drew blanks...turned out the ECU was knackered....changed that then it was fine...also had to change the turbo after a while too as my swirl flap had managed to work its way out via that.....hope it helps if you havent already sorted it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mate,
God i hope its not the ECU, that's not gonna be cheap to replace! If i have no luck starting it i'll have to get someone in to run a diagnostic check on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
its worth a try...i tried absolutley everything and it wouldnt start..just rumbled with a bit of easy start...think it cost me £250 and i had my immoboliser chip put in the new ECU

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
250 thats not as bad as i thought it would be!
Spoke to a mechanic mate of mine, he said to check the crankshaft sensor? Might have loosened it when removing the the locking tool to set the timing. So its back out in the morning to check that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts