BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,Im lookin to see if anyone with a 04 BMW 320d has come accross a fault code p3263,

its the only fault code that shows up from time to time,the emissions light shows up on the dash aswell,engine seems to run perfectly,its very annoying having to constantly reset the light,

there must be a problem,could it be a MAF sensor,engine has been fully serviced,crank case breather has been changed (vortex type),lots of smoke smoke present from exhaust with tuning box fitted no smoke when not fitted and a slight misfire or rough idle on cold start with and without tuning box.

Could the excessive smoking from the exhaust clogged something up like egr valve but would there be a seperate fault code for that,any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You should also get the fault codes read with a BMW specific scanner as PXXXX codes are not BMW codes and you may be missing out on more precise info that BMW fault codes will give. You may also find you get new codes that a EOBD code reader won't pick up.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Looking at the thread that you earlier posted in eamon LINK ,his p3263 fault code was caused by stuck swirlflaps,
if you're not familiar with these little barstewards do a search on the forums, personally I'd get them out asap :thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Yep, I've got a fairly big list of BMW translations of P codes, but even still, i don't see that one, and a search brings you straight to a thread here also, where it might be having lambda sensors in the wrong exhausts, but i can't really be sure that is the correct definition either.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hi everyone,Im lookin to see if anyone with a 04 BMW 320d has come accross a fault code p3263,
I'm not so sure the code reader you are using is OBD2 compliant? The first number after the P should be a 0 or a 1. If it is a zero then that is a true generic OBD2 code and if it's a 1 then the code is something the manufacturer has included but is not required to be OBD2 compliant. The P just means a powertrain fault.

The third digit should be one of these;-
1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
and the last digit is the specific component.

Could the code mean p0263? that would make it a power balance fault on cylinder one and is likely a fault calculated by the DDE from inputs of various sensors rather than a single specific sensor.
If Jimbo75 is on the right school of thought with a swirl flap issue I would check them ASAP.
Could you describe the running problem as well as the code?

·
Registered
82 Posts
2004 e46 320d

Snap I have had exactly the same problem over the last year with my 2004 E46 320d. I have had the MAF sensor replaced twice the last of which was about a month ago and the EML came on again within a week. 2 weeks ago put the car in again and they cleaned out the EGR valve and replaced the breather with a vortex one. The car lasted one day before the EML came on again. Its booked in again for next Tuesday and I have asked them to clean out the Inlet Manifold and remove the swirl flaps and replace them with blanking plates I bought on ebay for £24 for a set of 4. I asked the garage to email me a copy of the codes that came up and it read P3263. It also mentions Ratio of calculated to measured air mass too high. Car still runs well but light annoying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
p3263 EML Frequently illuminating

Got my Inlet Manifold removed and cleaned on Tuesday and got Swirl Flaps removed. Early days yet but no EML appeared yet. Only thing I have noticed is that my MPG has gone down a bit but not drastically. Car was possibly running lean before this was done. I did see another thing on another thread which I will have to look at which is that the only time my temperature gauge runs at 12 o'clock is if I am in slow moving traffic. When I am on open road it falls back to around 11 o'clock which I read can cause lower MPG. Will have to look into this further when I can afford it as I have spent a few hundred trying to sort out the p3263 and MAF code. There seems to be a wide variation in thermostat prices between £37 and £110. Don't know how easy to replace. Will update when I know for certain everything ok with the EML though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gordon,

Any news on your EML light? I have been having the same problem, flicks on and off at will, had MAF replaced and whilst the car ran better the light still comes on and off. First time I have read about swirl flaps etc but interested to see how it is working for you?

Cheers,

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts