·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello BMW gurus.

I've been getting fault codes -

4501 - EGR Valve control deact.
4841 - EGR 2 Control Deact.

So, I've dived in feet first and replaced the EGR valve (2nd hand from ebay). While I was replacing the valve I noticed that the hose going into it was frayed and split. Off to bmw I went and purchased a new hose.

When fitting the hose I followed the path of the old one to find that the hose was going from the EGR to the radiator!? :censored This is clearly why the EGR has not been working and throwing up a fault constantly. Now i'm in a position where I'd like to replace all the vacuum hoses and make sure they are all going where they should.

I've taken a look at this, but it's not very clear at all.

I understand that the EGR hose should be going to the EPPT, but where does hose 10 go? I'm assuming this is the radiator shutter but cant see clearly where the other end connects to.

Does anyone have a more detailed layout of the vacuum hoses? Or point me in the right direction? The TIS diagram is simply horrible.

Cheers,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Quite simple really, all the suppying vacuum pipes T on to #1 in that diagram under the manifold.

The pressure converters need the suppying vacuum hose attached to the end connection point, then the other has the hose that goes to the respective thing the PC is controlling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, that just sounds too simple to be true lol!

Ok, so my EGR should have a small pipe from the EGR to the EPPT (part 11).

My concern is where i'm taking this out of, where does the end of the pipe go for the radiator? So the other end of hose 10 i believe.

thanks again.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Hello BMW gurus.

I've been getting fault codes -

4501 - EGR Valve control deact.
4841 - EGR 2 Control Deact.

So, I've dived in feet first and replaced the EGR valve (2nd hand from ebay). While I was replacing the valve I noticed that the hose going into it was frayed and split. Off to bmw I went and purchased a new hose.

When fitting the hose I followed the path of the old one to find that the hose was going from the EGR to the radiator!? :censored This is clearly why the EGR has not been working and throwing up a fault constantly. Now i'm in a position where I'd like to replace all the vacuum hoses and make sure they are all going where they should.

I've taken a look at this, but it's not very clear at all.

I understand that the EGR hose should be going to the EPPT, but where does hose 10 go? I'm assuming this is the radiator shutter but cant see clearly where the other end connects to.

Does anyone have a more detailed layout of the vacuum hoses? Or point me in the right direction? The TIS diagram is simply horrible.

Cheers,

Jamie
Being a 2004, your might have an electronic turbo actuator which looks like this (left of engine under the air filter)

If it does then forget the hose that goes of to the vacuum bottle.

The radiator shutter hose plugs in just under the engine cover screw/mounting just behind the power steering fluid reservior.

The EGR value hose is directly below that out of sight and is a "feely" job! it is the top one of the two hose that come out of that vacuum controller just above the red cable of the alternator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
legends on here i tell ya!

Ok, brilliant.

I'll give it a go as soon as I get time. I cannot believe someone has put the hose form the Rad to the EGR though, makes me angry!

So no magic detailed pictures of the vacuum layout?! :(

thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Xmak, it all seems to make more sense on realoem.

What a mess my hoses are in! it's a wonder the car is running at all!

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is the reason I like to replace hoses that are easy to change as and when access is gained while doing other work. A vacuum leak causes all sorts of nippy-tits problems. The OEM hoses are perfectly fine and last a long time, the problem with the fabric braiding is the hose can look fine visually but the rubber underneath can have hairline splits or pinholes which leak.

I use silicone replacements, which doesn't necessarily mean bright colours, you can get black silicone too and it provides the peace of mind with each section of hose you refresh, that its one less section to worry about :thumbsup

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,

Quick update for you. I took the manifold off the replaced the hoses. They were all over the place, completely wrong. The only hose that was in the right place was to the controller for the swirlflaps (that I've already blanked!) Terrible.

Anyways, fixing the hoses has resulted in an error free drive (so far, so good) but still suffering for a bit of excess smoke. That's next on my list.

Cheers for the previous help

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hi All,

Quick update for you. I took the manifold off the replaced the hoses. They were all over the place, completely wrong. The only hose that was in the right place was to the controller for the swirlflaps (that I've already blanked!) Terrible.

Anyways, fixing the hoses has resulted in an error free drive (so far, so good) but still suffering for a bit of excess smoke. That's next on my list.

Great result mate, well done :thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All,

I like the idea of doing this, what size hose is required and what length will I need? Looks like 3 or 4 mm, are some different sizes? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
you can just but some silicone 3mm or 3.5 mm,, from e bay around a tenner for 6 metres etc or or you can buy some original looking hose from plenty of places like this 4https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/fueltex-cotton-overbraid-hose/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts