BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick few questions what is the engine model for the 2.2 stright 6?
and are these engines strong? can u push them preaty hard, in the owner manual is says dont take the engine up to the rev limiter, is there any reason for that?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
they are a straight six and afaik are a pretty strong piece of engineering.
high revving is never a strong suit for an inline 6 pot..ride the torque and leave the screaming to the 4 pots ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Brilliant engine not rev happy tho take ages to get there. 320 not really performance minded more for cruising, later 2lt are 4cyl in e90's.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had a 2.2 very smooth engine with the straight 6 burble but as others said its not a high performance engine but does pull nicely, more for cruising and does take a while to reach top end. Mine had 92,000 miles on it and while i owned it never had any problems with the engine what so ever and was regularly serviced

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
James, not the 2.2, but may give an indication for you, I did 140k miles on a 325i and 120k miles on a 330i, both revved hard when given the chance up to the limiter, but only once warm and always on top quality oil, never had an engine related issue with either, and I know for a fact the guy that bought the 325i kept it for another 4 years and it did starship mileage with no issues.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replys! just wanted to check!
Im a mechanic so will be getting serviced alot, iv been told that you should only use the castrol edge 0W 30, is that correct?
its like £15 a ltr the cheapest i have found it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts