BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping that someone can advise me on the following....

I need to replace the engine in my 2004 E46 320cd Sport due to damage with flood water. The engine is a 204D4 150bhp (car remapped to 200bhp).

I have sourced a replacement engine (also a 204D4) but it is from a '54plate 1-series, which is a 163 bhp, with 30,000 miles.

It has been suggested that I can use this engine in my car as it is the same engine model number and the basic block is the exactly the same. All i need to do is add my bolt on fittings, such as turbo etc and it will work.

is this correct? i would hate to courier this from England to Ireland to find out it cannot be used.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it was the same engine it would be the same horsepower quoted.
Find out why it is different first.

The same engine code does not always mean the same exact engine if it is from a different car.

e.g. some polo 1.4 engines do not fit into golfs with the same engine code
e.g. meriva? 1.8 z18xe is not the same as a corsa z18xe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies.

There was no damage to wiring loom. Car was repaired at BMW dealership august 2008, worked fine for 10,000 miles them the engine seized and crankshaft snapped. Insurance company has paid out, thankfully.

this is the problem I am having, different people have different opinions on the engine. Technician at BMW dealership wasn't able to help as he wasn’t 100% sure – he said they only ever put in new parts, so had no experience of it.

Not sure how I would establish how/ why it is a different horse power. I had just assumed it was different horse power because it has a different ECU/computer, as they are both 1995cc and 204D4 model numbers.

Anyone else have experience of this?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
E36 325td and 325tds are same engines but different power outputs due to differences in ECU, and injection components and intercooler etc:thumbsup

A 5 series tds engine is the same as the 3 series but there are also very slight differences here too;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an E46 320d (150bhp) and 2 E90 320d's (163bhp). The engines 'look' different and the ancilleries appear to be differently laid out also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.