BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired an E46 320CD with 92k on the clock, i noticed the temp needle rarely rises above the first notch on the temp gauge. This being my first BMW i wasn’t sure whether this was abnormal or not, after scanning the forum i found a number of threads recommending changing the EGR stat, i have done this, still no change, though the removed EGR stat was continuously open.
I have used the OBC to see what temp the engine gets up to on a run, no more than 62 degrees when driven conservatively and 75 when pushed. Am i right in thinking temp shouldn't varey much from 90 degrees?

My guess is the main thermostat is staying open and feeding too much coolant to the radiator. Has anyone else had this issue? im assuming running the engine cold will effect oil performance and MPG.

What is the best antifreeze coolant to use if i replace the main thermostat and how much will be required?

Any advice / info would be great.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep it will be the main stat, main stat opens at 88 and it should run around 90-94 regardless of how you drive it, it will be constantly over fuelling if not up to temp, when I did mine I got the anti freeze from bm dealer and did 50-50 mix with distilled water, you won't loose all the coolant, 2 litres of anti freeze should be enough...make sure you follow the correct procedure for bleeding, it's easy to get an air lock if you don't open all the bleed valves..and have the heater on hot so the heater rad valve is open..ideal time to stick new aux belts on too. Put a pair of gates on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I will order a stat and fluids for the weekend. You mentioned using the correct bleeding procedure, any recommendations as to where i could find this, there doesn't seem to be a Haynes manual for the 320D.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Think there are 4 bleed screws if I remember rightly, one next to rad filler cap, one on egr stat and either 1 or 2 in the pipe work, open them all and as you fill up coolant will come out of the lowest first, once coolant comes out tighten it up, then it will come out of next lowest, then tighten that one...etc...etc. it doesn't matter if you fill the header tank to the top as first time it gets to temp and the coolant expands then it will blow the excess out past the pressure valve in the cap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, changed the main stat, was much easier with the EGR heat exchanger off, car gets up to temp really quickly and holds at the 12 o'clock position regardless of driving style.

·
Registered
205 Posts
53mpg, thats decent, i only get 44 max and ive had both thermostats replaced, hmmmmmmmm, maybe i bout the wrong stat or there is an air lock
It is just your driving style, or the conditions you driving. 53mpg is possible on the motorway at 65-70 with barely pressing the pedal, if you drive short distance and/or in town forget about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
in the -4c weather it dropped to 38pg which is not acceptable, i have new glow plugs to fit and the lamda sensor needs replacing, seems the temp sensor has been sending false info to the OBC leading to overfueling and possible degredation of the CAT..

Sorry for not replying sooner, dropped down a rabbit hole for a while

·
Registered
36 Posts
in the -4c weather it dropped to 38pg which is not acceptable, i have new glow plugs to fit and the lamda sensor needs replacing, seems the temp sensor has been sending false info to the OBC leading to overfueling and possible degredation of the CAT..

Sorry for not replying sooner, dropped down a rabbit hole for a while
today 0c, obc on, it was not running more than 72c.....May have to replace the thermostat again.....If i am buying an oem main thermo, what make should i be looking at and what opening temperature, 76c or 80c

cheers

·
Registered
641 Posts
today 0c, obc on, it was not running more than 72c.....May have to replace the thermostat again.....If i am buying an oem main thermo, what make should i be looking at and what opening temperature, 76c or 80c

cheers
How long have you been driving for when you checked the temps, what sort of revs/speed etc. Mine's at 20 degrees till I get down the road a bit ... ;)

I'd check that the flaps in front of the fan are closing properly .. and not opening at say 40 degrees ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
This was after needle near 12oclock and a bit of driving... 6th gear at 60 roughly 1800rpm..

Flaps, fan?? Il look into it.

Needle was moving left towards the cooler side at some points during driving which ain't right I'm sure...

Il take it for a run Thursday to check again and note down OBC temp and speed

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks... Autodoc list a mahle for £39.48

This Am car did my head in again.

9 mile drive, not at 12oclock position... OBC showing 74c, heater set at 20c and dial in between vents on 3 red dots.
I turned heater up to max, 32c and almost immediately temp dropped to 68c.
On drive home, I set temp to 16c, 3 blue dots on dial, temp got up to 82c no higher, I turn temp back up to 32c and the OBC temp dropped 6c

What is going on?

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a 15 mile commute along country roads and through villages, max 50 mph mostly 30 .. Mine never really gets to proper running temperature, it gets warm inside still, but not to engine running temps. I don't think it's too much of a problem unless you go further, faster for longer and it still doesn't get to temps.

My old Landrover ran so cool we used to block the radiators and take the fans off, indeed I never put my fan back on some years!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't see anything wrong in those photos, after 9 miles in cold temps looks normal to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts