BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a complete newbie to BMW's I'm after a bit of advice on how to go about this...

Basically I want to upgrade my head unit in my 04 coupe for ipod and bluetooth capability as it has the BMW business stereo with tape deck which is a complete pain in the back-side. I also have the 6 disc changer in the boot as well as the Harmon Kardon speaker system.

I would like to keep the functionality of the steering wheel stereo controls as well as the virtual surround of the HK system.

Having used the system in my mum's 5 series I would also like to add bluetooth handsfree capability as well as it seems this is about the only thing that my car doesn't have.

Because of this I have no idea whether this system has an independent amplifier or whether it is built in to the head unit itself so have no idea how easy it is to swap it out? Also would I be better off going for a later model BMW HU with CD slot or go for an after market unit?

The final question I have - I've noticed that on some models the climate control panel is located lower down where I seem to have a pointless cubby hole just above where the ash tray is. Can the climate controls be re-located there easily so I could possibly fit a double din style unit with a nice big screen?

Sorry if it's been posted before but any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've just been looking at a thread about an OEM looking one from ebay that someone has installed that does DVD, digital TV and sat nav as well for just over £400...no idea whether its any good though.

I'd probably want to spend about £500 tops to be honest as I want to do some other bits as well like sort the scratches on the interior door handles and get a remap,

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Your options then.

1) Dynavin DVN-E46 3G (Loads of huge picture filled threads on e46fanatics and dynavinfreeeforums about it). Watch for - hilarious screen glare, no warranty from Dynavin, old models have design flaws in the audio circuit (background hiss) and LCD backlight (fails).
2) Hungualin - Unproven rev 1 hardware, no warranty, no community of modders/hackers, same price as Dynavin. Avoid.
3) DICE Mediabridge MB1500 - requires you to select CD to answer the phone. E46fanatics for photo installs and videos
4) Hack the dash up to fit a double DIN. Loads of pictoral threads on this too. Requires you to cut and fit new parts to the airbox, and build a new lever for the passenger floor vent flap. Watch for - The double din bezels are like £100.
5) Get/build a simple aux audio in for the headunit (if supported) + retrofit BMW BT. Watch for - You need the final version of the ULF to get the compatibility with the latest phones. The TCUs must be post late 2004 to support BT - ignore the BT label on the TCU - it's a red herring.

All of those (except the MB1500) come in at about £500.

EDIT: The double DIN relocation panel for your post 09/99 car is part 12 in this diagram.

If you have manual climate control controls, relocating and extending the levers is a PITA. Digital climate controls the wiring just reaches to the newer location and plugs straight in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts