BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

Only my second post here – first was very, very helpful indeed.

Bought a very nice, second hand 3 series coupe last year and now experiencing replacing tyres for the first time. I have 18” mv2 alloys with bridgestone potenza runflats on at the moment.

Did a bit of investigation and crikey replacing them is a pricey business. Therefore I am considering replacing all 4 with normal tyres. Have rung 2 BMW garages for advice and 1 independent. 2 tell me that I can simply replace and need a spacesaver for the boot and one saying I would need to replace wheels as the normal tyre would not fit on a runflat wheel?

Please could I get some advice on this?

Assuming I can just replace all 4 tyres with normal ones is there anything else I need to consider? What about the runflat indicator in the car – would this need to be immobilised?

Regarding the spacesaver wheel – do I need an 18” one and if so how much should I be paying for this (BMW garage, elsewhere?)

Many thanks in advance for all your help on this. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Llen

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes they can simply be replaced. My misses has done so on her e46. A space saver in the boot and yr good to go. U can even get a mv alloy as a spare provided it fits nicely in the boot. Tyre indicator should work ok as well.
Tyre choices peps on here seem to recommend contis michelins and goodyear from the premium brands and falkens for the premium budget brands

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes they can simply be replaced. My misses has done so on her e46. A space saver in the boot and yr good to go. U can even get a mv alloy as a spare provided it fits nicely in the boot. Tyre indicator should work ok as well.
Tyre choices peps on here seem to recommend contis michelins and goodyear from the premium brands and falkens for the premium budget brands

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
no problem with repacing runflats for normal tyres. Tyre choice is yours to make. you can go for premium or mid range - all have good reviews in the tyres forum here.
Falkens, bridgstones and Michelins seem to be the popular choices for BMW drivers.

you could buy an MV2 2nd hand off ebay as long as it fill fit into your boot, or do what i did which was to buy the spare wheel kit from your local dealer (inc skinny wheel/tyre, wheel brace & jack)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the advice.

Looks like I'll have to take a bit of a hit on the spacesaver wheel and kit initially - checked with dealer and it looks like i need a 17" spacesaver wheel. (c£200) but long term the savings will be good on subsequent tyres.

Thanks again
Llen

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Looks like I'll have to take a bit of a hit on the spacesaver wheel and kit initially - checked with dealer and it looks like i need a 17" spacesaver wheel. (c£200) but long term the savings will be good on subsequent tyres.
its only a space saver so see if you can get from a breakers or from ebay
£200 :eek Dick Turpin had nothing on these guys, as recommended Ebay, scrappers or try forum vendor Quarry Motors :thumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One on ebay is £220 for wheel, tyre, jack, etc....brand new.

What shoudl I expect to pay?

Thanks for the leads.

Llen

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
One on ebay is £220 for wheel, tyre, jack, etc....brand new.

What shoudl I expect to pay?

Thanks for the leads.

Llen
Ring QM and ask for the parts you need, mention Bimmerforums and you'll get a forum discount, would have thought half that price tho :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great shout slowtech.

QM quoted £45 for wheel including tyre, £15 for wheel brace and jack....£10 for delivery.

Total saving £130!!!

Superb....thanks again.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Great shout slowtech.

QM quoted £45 for wheel including tyre, £15 for wheel brace and jack....£10 for delivery.

Total saving £130!!!

Superb....thanks again.
Great news llen :D QM are always worth a phone call.

Now you've saved yourself the princely sum of £130 how about this ????

Go on you know you want to :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts