BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all....
just wondering what speeds / mileage you guyz get on your cars. i have a 318i (e46) and want to know at what motorway speed the optimum economy can be achieved. i have read somewhere that slower speeds do give more mileage? is it the real case though?

thnx

·
Registered
25 Posts
modern cars only put in fuel when you press the gas pedal (crazy I know)
so it's not just a case of speed it's how far you have the pedal down, for instance if your doing say 30mph in 5th you'll have to press harder on the gas to progress than if you were in 3rd where you would need a light pedal. it's called labouring the engine the happier the engine is and the easier it pulls the less fuel you'll ultimately use.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I find with with my car that if i drive at 70mph the car does about 38mpg.If i drop this to 60mph it increases to about 50mpg.These figures are taken from my onboard computer

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
hi all....
i have read somewhere that slower speeds do give more mileage? is it the real case though?

thnx
not strictly true, you could drive 10 miles on a slight uphill gradient at 50 MPH and 10 miles on a slight ddownhill gradient at 100MPH and get better MPG in the second scenario, as Jase says the biggest factor is the position of the throttle

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
good example is motorways how many ppl slam it straight in 5 or 6th on a motorway and sit there in the inside lane thinkin wots for tea or how the missus is avin like a rat tonite..

better of in 4th in mine anyway than 5th doin 50 odd mph in the slow lane i get better mpg in 4th while im in plodding mode..:cool

its all about keeping that economy gauge on the dash from lurching far to the right too often to do that ya change gear or dont go in too low a gear to labour the engine and bend the needle the wrong way so much.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts