BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I thought I would share my experience with one man brake bleeders.

I started off with Sealey VS0205 (equivalent of Gunsons Eezybleed or whatever). Not impressed at all, supplied reservoir cap very loose for our E46s and it would leak air pretty much at all joints. Cheap and nasty unit, not recommended.

Then I decided to invest in a Sealey VS820 unit. Much better quality overall with rock solid connections/couplers. Still, I had to do some work with it to bring it up to scratch:

1. I didn't fancy the built in pump so that had to go. I fitted a tyre valve on top of the cap instead, to be used with my electric pump.
2. The reservoir cap supplied was again not good for BMW so I had to modify an OEM one by mounting a round piece of plastic inside (formerly a reservoir cap which came with the cheaper VS0205). I've actually used quite a few bits from the VS0205 kit, seals etc. so it wasn't a total loss after all.

Result: an ironclad contraption that can go easily up to 29psi (as per TIS) without any leaks whatsoever. It bleed the brakes without issues. In the end the pedal was as high as it normally is with a 2 men bleeding procedure, although I noted that fluid didn't bleed as fast as with someone working the pedal.

Anyway, with this and a GT1 plugged in (for ventilating the ABS and DSC units) I think I managed to replicate dealer lever equipment, which was the idea to begin with (maybe somebody can chime in here and advise).

View attachment 16836
View attachment 16837
View attachment 16838
View attachment 16839
View attachment 16840

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lestet, couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

I was thinking of buying the VS820 unit for a brake/clutch bleed job in the summer, but I'm concerned that the supplied reservoir cap won't fit my '01 530i. Was it that the cap screwed on OK, but just didn't seal completely as it was too deep? i.e. did the piece of plastic act as a spacer?

Also, was it EasyDIS v44 you used to cycle the ABS valves or was it a genuine unit? Is it relatively easy to do?

Any tips/observations on the job would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lestet, couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

I was thinking of buying the VS820 unit for a brake/clutch bleed job in the summer, but I'm concerned that the supplied reservoir cap won't fit my '01 530i. Was it that the cap screwed on OK, but just didn't seal completely as it was too deep? i.e. did the piece of plastic act as a spacer?

Also, was it EasyDIS v44 you used to cycle the ABS valves or was it a genuine unit? Is it relatively easy to do?

Any tips/observations on the job would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
pm replied

1 - 4 of 4 Posts