BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a good end and start of the year.

Anyway, I had my tank full just before the petrol went up (vat) and i resetted trip, average miles per hour, and miles per gallon.

Result?

trip meter = 277miles
Average Miles per hour = 18.9 (mixture or 30 and 40 roads with a of a bit traffic)

Miles per gallon = 24.1

Now I am not sure if this figure (277 miles) is average for the driving i do. I am light foot and i drive to work with 2 roads on the hill.

Where should I start to diagnose the problem? I am pretty sure there is.

Maybe go to indy or a dealer and get a diagnostic done?

Thanks in advance.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
i have a 318 vert, so its slightly heavier than yours

I only drive it at weekends, i dont really care about fuel if i did i would use my van with a diesel card for free, so i drive it as fast as it goes pretty much all the time

I get between 28mpg - 30mpg and arround about 360-400miles to a tank,

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I had the same problem in mine mate, albeit a 1.8i M43 engine and it turned out to be a dodgy lambda sensor. £70 later and problem solved, although fueling has increased lately so might start looking at other things like engine coolant temp sensor, purge canister valve etc..

Theres a few diagnostics software/cables available on ebay if you want to go down that route instead of paying an indy.

HTH :thumbsup

·
Registered
388 Posts
There something not quite right in your info???
If you were doing an average of 24 mpg then on a 16 gallon tank you should of done around 400 miles???

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you were doing an average of 24 mpg then on a 16 gallon tank you should of done around 400 miles???
E46s have 63 liter tanks 13.8 ish gallon :thumbsup must of still had about 10 liters in the tank to do 277 miles and 24mpg.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 318 vert, so its slightly heavier than yours

I only drive it at weekends, i dont really care about fuel if i did i would use my van with a diesel card for free, so i drive it as fast as it goes pretty much all the time

I get between 28mpg - 30mpg and arround about 360-400miles to a tank,
Sorry i forgot to add, mine is also convertible

Sounds like you need to get your codes read-possibly a duff lambda sensor

yeah, fuelling issue somewhere, i'm seeing a fair bit more than that in mine.

I had the same problem in mine mate, albeit a 1.8i M43 engine and it turned out to be a dodgy lambda sensor. £70 later and problem solved, although fueling has increased lately so might start looking at other things like engine coolant temp sensor, purge canister valve etc..

Theres a few diagnostics software/cables available on ebay if you want to go down that route instead of paying an indy.

HTH :thumbsup
hm.. I think I am going to have a lambda sensor checked then. I am not quite good with buying diagnostics etc so i dnt know if its just worth getting it checked from an indy?

Thanks for the info guys. That is actually good because its clear that something is wrong!

nope thats what the meter says. But it might be because I did 2 trips on a dual carriageway so maybe thats why its showing 24mpg

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
So you started will a full tank done 277 miles but haven't refilled yet to see how many liters it actually took to do it?
Think you might be more disappointed with the mpg when you do :frown could be below 20mpg in reality, best do as other have suggested and look into the lamba sensor.
Never trust the OBC as perfect mine own one reads 7mpg optimistic when I've tested doing a brim to brim. :thumbsup

·
Registered
728 Posts
By the way, does anyone know any good indy anywhere near watford, northwood, bushey, oxhey, harrow, pinner, uxbridge.. well basically anywhere in north'ish london and middlesex.
Yes try Advanced Autos in Bushey - very good but not cheap. Boss's name is Mick top bloke :thumbsup

If you want me to refer you pm me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i get 25-30 out of my e36 325i coupe so i would get your codes read

1 - 18 of 18 Posts