BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I want to upgrade my front speakers for generally better sound and maybe a bit more bass but not sure what to go for other than 13cm speakers with adapters. I have the standard BMW Business CD and don't want to use any amplifiers but I have no idea when it comes to watts, ohms, etc.
Also, when it comes to subs installed in the boot does knocking the ski hatch through really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm planning this at the moment too. I see you have a coupé and so the doors are a different design from my saloon. Sam's done a pretty good guide to replacing coupé/convertible speakers.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f8/e46-convertable-speaker-install-t50761/
He also did a guide on putting a sub in his convertible:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f8/e46-convertable-ski-hatch-pass-sub-install-t50292/

In terms of the sound deadening/ski hatch; although I've not completed my work yet, I have taken the rear seats out and stripped the boot to get a good look in there. In my saloon the centre armrest comes down and behind that there is a velcro flap of material. If you pull this down you can see the sound deadening material which is 'part cut' around the edge so you could easily remove this section. In the boot there are a number of plastic screws to remove to get the trim off the seat backs, but when you do you can see the 'ski hatch' which is welded up, but there's a clear section whcih could be removed. I plan to take this out, and the sound deadening, so there's nothing between the sub in the boot and the cabin.

I'm not sure how to remove the metal from the ski hatch, but if anyone knows (other than a big hammer?!?!) I'd love to hear about it!.

HTH

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
J0N - THREAD TITLE WRONG AFTER 417 POSTS :frown:frown

Im guessing you was half asleep so will change it for you...:thumbsup

I know your question isnt specific to your car. But please remember forum rules in future when creating threads...:)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
I'm not sure how to remove the metal from the ski hatch, but if anyone knows (other than a big hammer?!?!) I'd love to hear about it!.
I belive it is only tack welded in the coupe. so a drill and a hammer will do the job, drill the welds, a bit of a tap

I want to upgrade my front speakers for generally better sound and maybe a bit more bass but not sure what to go for other than 13cm speakers with adapters. I have the standard BMW Business CD and don't want to use any amplifiers but I have no idea when it comes to watts, ohms, etc.
Also, when it comes to subs installed in the boot does knocking the ski hatch through really make that much of a difference?
Jon i put rainbows in my front doors, they are driect replacments and fit straight in,

if you go for any other speaker remember the depth, the door cards arnt too deep you need speakers that are 2" deep other wise they wont fit,

take a look at my DIY in my sig

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Sam.

I read a very good 'how to' on removing the ski hatch from a coupe on another forum and it seems drilling out the spot welds is the best way.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
...I'll take my smacked arse and stand in the corner anyway.
No tellings off here matey. Just wana keep it all nice and organised to help other members...:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No tellings off here matey. Just wana keep it all nice and organised to help other members...:thumbsup:)
Fair enough, I'm usually a good boy but I thought this was a general E46 Coupe question. I know for next time. :thumbsup

Anyway back to the speakers. I read somewhere that you need 2 ohm speakers with the BMW Business HU but I've never even heard of these, I thought the general rule was 4 ohms for the car and 8 ohms for the house? :confused

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info Sam. So, basically I need 13cm 2-way co-axial speakers that are no more than 2" deep?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did'nt really want to spend £165 though on account of some other bits I want to do with the car. Any recommendations/avoidances?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its looking like theres plenty to go at and you can pretty much pay what you want to, looking at the pictures of the stock speakers in your 'E46 Front Speaker Upgrade DIY' thread I think pretty much anything would be an improvement.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts