BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had this leak lately which after a quick inspection turned out to be the oil pan gasket.

Here is the question: with my engine being a 4 pot, is there any way I can slip the new gasket in just by dropping the pan a few inches - without actually removing the pan? The picture bellow (courtesy to another fellow enthusiast) gives me an idea of what to expect at the bottom of the engine and it seems to me it might be ok, however every post I read tells me otherwise: engine has to be lifted, subframe brace dropped etc. etc.

Anybody has any experience with this diy?

View attachment 18200

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it's called an engine support beam. Ebay wants £60 for it, not too bad. Definitely worth investing in one rather than paying a garage some 3-400 quid for the whole job.

Do you apply some sealant or it's just the gasket? And if yes, which sort of sealant and on both sides of the gasket - pan and engine bottom?

·
Registered
556 Posts
if you can clean sump and pan some people have cut gasket used jack under engine.
not sure if this is easy or not.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had another look under the hood and once you have the beam support it's actually not too bad: 2 nuts off (left and right engine mounts), cabin filter housing off and then lift the engine up using its own metal hook/loop at the front.

Once I do that, the underneath work is pretty much straight forward. Still the sealant question remains, is it necessary or not?

·
Registered
556 Posts
if it is cork gasket then i would say you need sealant get gasket from bmw
and ask them they will tell you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I booked the car for a scheduled oil service at main dealer and sure enough they saw the leak. Hard not to as I had both the plastic shield and reinforcement plate off the car.

Anyway, they've identified the leak as power steering hose, although you could clearly see droplets of oil forming at the bottom of the engine block, right above the hose. Nice :thumbsup

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you have to replace that hose is it easy or harder then sump.
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic. Of course it's not the power steering hose. We're wondering how is it that people so often pay for a few unnecessary repairs before they fix the original problem. I am 100% convinced if I were to go ahead and fix that hose with them and then come back a month later with the same leak, the default response would be: 'But the power steering was leaking too, luckily we've got that fixed last time".

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the gasket, it's not cork but metal with a rubber inside edge. Good news is it's a dry fit, no need for silicone sealant.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hope it is that as i was reading on forum that the oil filter gasket can leak
and runs down engine have you checked that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I've checked. I can't see any leaks whatsoever around the oil filter housing. I gave it a good wipe today, that'll give me a better idea on where exactly it's leaking.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about that but the bulk of the leak is up front. Anyway the pump is fixed and bottom wiped clean (no pun intended :hihi). I'll check again in about a week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts