BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I changed the differential oil today and thought to share my experience.

First of all, I discovered that my car does not have a drain hole, only a fill hole. Luckily I have a fluid extractor pump so I used that to remove the old oil - about a litre.

I then topped up with a Laser hand pump I got from Halfords, which worked pretty well and fast - I got almost a litre in, used BMW differential oil (83222365987) and replaced the plug with new (33117525064).

I was expecting the old oil to be black (I don't think it has been changed before) as the car is 15 years old with 81k miles. However, although it was darker compared to the new oil, it wasn't too bad - could it really be "lifetime" oil?!?

Photos of old oil:

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

and the new oil:

IMG_4511.JPG

the finished job:

IMG_4512.JPG

Hope this is informative/helpful for someone.

All the best,
Sol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Changed both the diff and gearbox oil on my 2004 320d a couple of weeks ago, as with your experience I was surprised how the drained oil looked so clear and uncontaminated. Mine has covered close to 170k and been in my ownership for 13 years, so this was the first diff and gearbox oil change!

My car did have a drain bolt on the diff, both diff and gearbox accepted just over a litre of oil each.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts