BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 E46 318ci Coupe. Denison Gateway 100 Review.

Just had a Dension Gateway 100 fitted to my 54 Plate E46 Coupe so I can run my iPod through the BMW Business CD player. For those who don't know it's the type of interface that utilises the 6 disc changer port, my car was'nt fitted with one in any case so I have'nt lost anything there. Yes, it's basic but it does everything I want it to, you can skip, fast forward and rewind tracks from the HU or steering wheel controls and you can select your first six playlists from the CD select buttons but searching has to be done via the iPod. All in all it does what it's supposed to do and does it well, it wont be advanced enough for some users but if you just want simple controls it's good enough. Cost me £140 including fitting. If you have the Business CD (or tape) player, without sat-nav I'd recommend it.

EDIT;

After a bit of reading/fiddling I've discovered that there's actually a lot more to this unit than I first thought. When I described the features above the unit was in 'iPod User Interface Mode' where you have to use all the main controls ie searching for Artists/Albums etc via the iPod's click wheel. However, this can be changed to 'iPod Gateway Mode' where the iPod itself is not used and it's screen simply displays 'Denison'. In this mode all of the iPods searching functions are used via the CD multi-changer buttons, press one of the buttons and then use the skip track up/down button to scroll through and then hold it down to select. Button no. 1 is Playlists, no. 2 is Artists, no. 3 is Albums, no. 4 is playback options such as repeat and random and button no. 5 is to scan all tracks. There is also the option to connect an auxiliary source to the Gateway unit using a standard 3.5mm stereo jack-plug and this input can be selected using button no.6.

Also, after updating the firmware ID3 text display is shown on the HU. This is done by downloading a firmware MP3 from Dension's website, adding it to your iPod library via iTunes and 'playing it' to the Gateway. It's fiddly to set up and it took a while with lots of colourful language but I got there in the end.

For the price I'd definately give it 8 out of 10, only dropping 2 points because of the difficulty I had setting up the text display, (I'm still not 100% sure how I did it tbh, lol).

Recommended.

EDIT; (Yes, another one, lol.)

You can also adjust the default volume settings with one of the firmware MP3's. I found this very useful as the radio volume was much louder than the iPod's but now they're the same.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edited my OP. This unit is a lot more feature packed than I first thought. :hihi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok does anyone know if you can hook up the Connect2 CTPPAR007 plus Parrot CK3000BT with the Dension i.e have both Bluetooth with steering wheel button in use and Ipod connect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts