1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Belated Happy New Year!

I noticed some water in my boot today, in particular:
- the plastic that holds the tool set and the triangle was wet as if it was sprayed with water
- also like it was sprayed, was the hood cover (the side that has the lever for lowering it)
- the carpet was damp as was the road atlas I have lying on it.
- they was a bit of water in the plastic cover above the spare wheel, and
- some water on the bottom of the well (spare wheel taken out)

i did a search that revealed some usual suspects, but what I cannot figure out is how did water spray on the plastic that holds the tools? When the boot is closed, the plastic is facing the floor....

Can I just add that I have a hardtop fitted (its been there since I bought the car in November) and there is no water in the cabin, so I guess the drain holes in the roof compartment should not be causing this (maybe I am wrong?).

any ideas anyone?

I had a look around with a flashlight but didnt see anything wrong. Will have another look tomorrow.

Many thanks,
Sol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Getting somewhere...

Hi guys,

I have made some progress with this issue, here it goes:

I traced the leak, it is coming from the passenger side of the hood compartment, see photos below.

I have the hard top on so I cannot get a look into the hood compartment, so what I did was i parked the car with the front facing downhill (I usually park the other way) and water starting coming out from the drains (located in front the rear wheels and behind the side skirt). There was much more water coming out from the passenger side drain.

I guess all this suggests that my drains are not clogged, but this is more related to the design flaw of the drains being located at the front of the compartment. In any case I will investigate further on this once I get the hard top off (cant wait!).

Now, my question is: what makes the water come into the hood compartment in the first place? Where could it be entering from? I have had the hard top on since I bought the car, and havent had an opportunity to experience with my own eyes how the whole system is / works.

My understanding is that the drain holes exist in order to deal with condensation or any other reason the hood fabric may release some water. I cannot imagine that it is normal for water to enter the compartment after say heavy rain - this would suggest that some seal somewhere is not efficient? I am right?

I plan to inspect all seals and lubricate them, again, when the hard top is off.

Many thanks,
Sol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drain channels in the hood compartment are blocked, its a common fault on these cars, its pretty hard to tell you where they are, but if you google it am sure there's a location thread and fix:thumbsup
Thanks for your replies guys, I am aware of how to unblock the drains, it is described in the following link:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700932

However, since the water ran out of the drains when I parked it facing downhill, I assume they are ok?

What I need to know is how water gets in the compartment in the first place?

Cheers,
Sol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again,

small update!

This morning I checked the boot again, good news is that there was no water dripping from the hood compartment (the cut bottle I placed was dry).

However, I spotted a bit of water on the passenger's side rear corner of the boot (see photo). This afternoon I remover all the plastic covers and found that the black sponge (under the plastic cover) that covers some cables (? cd changer) was wet.

Also, I noticed that the hook the boot door locks into (not sure of the proper name) is not straight (see photo). No idea why it is like this, doesn't look normal to me! Any ideas as to why it is not aligned? Could it cause the boot door not to close properly? Although from the outside the book door gaps appear aligned.

Cheers,
Sol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

The compartment for storage of the soft top does allow water in around the seal hence why the need for drainage points (BMW informed me of this as I have the same issue). Mine too is parked facing up an incline. The simple answer, as you have discovered, is to park level or facing downhill - there is no fault just a lack of sunshine!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was gonna say that,

no water is supossed to go into the convertable storage area,

Is you HT fitted properly?
this is exactly my thought, there should not be any water there in the first place!!!

I think the HT is fitted correctly, there are no signs of leaks in the cabin.

In any case, since the drain, I have not seen any water in the boot (its all down to bare metal and covered in paper) and there has been some raining lately. I suspect that there needs to be a specific minimum amount of water in the roof compartment for it then to start leaking.

Hopefully I will be removing the HT this weekend (weather permitting) and will be able to have a better look at what it happening in there!

Will keep you posted!

Sol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts