BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compact (04 plate 60K miles) was having problems the other week, and instead of driving it into the ground decided to call Mr AA in to give it the once over. Problem: loss of power to accelerator, together with what I thought sounded like exhaust noise. AA man thought it sounded like exhaust maifold gasket, but was more concerned with the noise from the engine. He advised me not to drive it, so was towed to my regular garage.

After much investigation etc etc the diagnosis is as follows:

Timing chain 'disintigrated' and dropped into sump?? Parts needed: drive chain for oil pump?? drive chain tensioners plus sprockets??

The exhaust 'breather' has now been sorted, but the bill is atronomical / comical (depending on your view).

I am completly naive when it comes to cars and am worried I am being ripped off.

From chats with others and my own research I thought the timing chain never needed replacing? Also the garage is charging me max for labour as they had to strip engine to diagnose problem, but I have been told elsewhere that, A) shouldn't need to do this, as other mechanical tests would diagnose problem, and B) if timing chain had gone the car would not be drivable.

HELP NEEDED before I collect my car and hand over large amounts of wad!!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Can you please edit your title in accordance with the forum posting rules. These are printed in red to gain attention at the head of the thread post page, and are included in the T&C's upon signing up on the website.
This is in order that your post is answered correctly, and aids the search functionality of the site.
A copy of these rules are also available via the icon at the base of my post.

Titles should follow this format;

YEAR / Exx DESIGNATION / MODEL - ISSUE/PROBLEM/QUESTION

Many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback guys, and apologies for not posting correctly.

Am I wrong in assuming that the garage should really be advising me if this needed replacing at the last service? (Which was around 3,000 miles ago).

Also, as I mentioned in the original post, I'm a bit naive to this, so can someone suggest a ball park figure that this should cost.

Many thanks

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
60k is very early for a chain to fail (if ever) but could be a consequence of something else (like the oil pump) so - no, it may not have been evident when last serviced.

If the chain has actually disintegrated then it will be serious bucks for repairs- if they really mean the timing chain, then the valves, followers, pistons etc may be terminally damaged. But it seems they're talking about a 'drive chain'?.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts