BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. it is orange. I have just bought the car and I spoke to a garage who replaced the ABS unit. They said they also replaced one of the sensors beneath the brake master cylinder and the other one probably needs replacing. I fiddled with the wires to the sensors and the light went out for a few miles. I can probably replace it myself but I need a bit of advice first. Firstly when I unscrew the sensor does brake fluid run out ? Also, does one reach down from the top, sqeezing past the brake pipes ? it is too tight for my big hand. The car is a 2004 316Ti ES, what E no is it please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please take the time to read the rules so you post in the correct section with the correct thread titles :thumbsup Done for you this time.........

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you take the wheel speed sensors out nothing will leak out but with mine i couldn't get them out, tried but ended up snapping one. The front ones are about £85 from BMW. don't get the ebay £30 ones, they dont work. found that out after buying an ebay one then having to buy a proper BMW one.

Also is it just the DSC light or the brake (!) symbol and the (ABS) light?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is your speedo working? Cruise control if you have it?

Sounds like an ABS wheel sensor

Theres plenty of guides on how to test this yourself, or if your not comfortable with that, then a local garage will probably pull the codes for you:

It will cost you a bit of money BUT it will save you endlessly chasing an intermittant sensor fault.

Like already has been said, buy OEM sensors if it turns out to be that, the ebay ones are crap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedo is working ok. Don't have cruise control.

the garage was pretty quick to suggest it was the other sensor under the master cylinder (the one they hadn't replaced) and when I fiddled about with the wires to that old one the warning light did go out for a few miles, so I reckon that is where the problem lies. It is extremely difficult to get at though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fellas, he is not talking about the wheel speed sensors. He is reffering to the two DSC pressure sensors fitted to the brake master cylinder :thumbsup

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fellas, he is not talking about the wheel speed sensors. He is reffering to the two DSC pressure sensors fitted to the brake master cylinder :thumbsup

Lol yeah, totally misread his 1st post :eek

That will teach me for quickly scanning the forums at work ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
pretty sure if you try turning on the ignition (dont start the car ) and leave it on for 1 minute then turn the ignition off it will go out

·
Registered
961 Posts
If your tracking is out and the steering wheel isn't straight it will throw up a DSC error, there's a "straight ahead" sensor on the steering column

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a few days have gone by and I see that the warning light has gone out now. My daughter who also uses the car says that sometimes it is on, sometimes off. Perhaps I should observe it for while ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If its intermittent then see if it follows a pattern, road surface, type of driving etc. I still think best route is to get it hooked up to some diagnostics at either BMW or your local indy. At least you can nail it down then albeit, at a cost. I chase an ABS light on my e39 for weeks until i gave up, i wouldnt have found the problem myself, it was missing teeth off the reluctor rings :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts