BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I am new on this forum please bear with me.

My 520i (2004 Reg) had a battery drain problem 3 weeks ago. Basically the car would not start or even open without putting the key on the door lock, due to the flat battery. I drive everyday so it is not something to do with the car being left idle for long periods.

Dropped the car to the local BMW approved dealer, (will not name (& shame) them), technician perfomed various battery drain test, and I was assured everything worked fine and there was nothing to worry about.

This week, same problem, dead battery in the morning. Had to call AA man who again said something is draining the battery and must be investigated.

AA man jumped started the car for me and I then dropped it off to a different BMW approved dealer, explained exactly as I did before the problem, and left. Got a phone call from them saying they would start looking into it and guess what, they found out a battery sensor which keeps the car awake was faulty and needed replacement.

Now where do I stand on this? I paid £180 + vat to the first dealer and nothing was found/rectified, paid same money to second one and they did found the problem.

Should I request for a refund? Has someone experienced the same? I would of thought if the proper procedures/check were done as written on invoice, first technicians would/should have found out?

thanks.

Paulos

·
Registered
207 Posts
that could be a hard one to get your money back!
if the fault wasnt there when they was checking it,
its easier to fix things that are broke at the time,
would give it a go tho, kick up a fuss normally works!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I think you're stuffed .....

Main dealers charge you for every minute the car is in the workshop, even if they are looking and trying to diagnose a fault. You are paying them for teh time they spend (labour) on your car, whether or not a fault is found or the work is done etc.

Some independant garages charge you just for popping bonnet too!

My volvo dealer charged me £400 for a Boost solenoid, £38 part, it clips to teh side of the airbox with 3 rubber pipes to be pushed into it ..... :jaw-dropping:mad:frown

There is no harm in trying. I have personally found, forget raving at the service desk, just write a detailed letter (with proof) of the reason why you are disatisfied with the service you have received on this occasion, addressed to the dealership manager. You will either get told to tough (in a posh manner) or they may grant some notion (good will gesture).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts