BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 645 got abondonded at a friends house a week before Xmas beacause a/ he lives at the bottom of a very steep hill and b/ over a foot of snow fell within hours and the temperature dropped to -16c. When I left the car all was in order. When I retrieved the car on Monday it started no problem but the instrument cluster was dead, no speedo, rev counter, temp or fuel gauge, no warning lights, computer display or indicators. Wipers, electric columb, iDrive, radio all still work. Apparently, if the battery goes low the computer switches off what it deems unnessesary to preserve whats left in the battery. All well and good but how do I get it to switch back on? I have driven the car around for a day (doing hand signals as there are no indicators -in the rain) and I am about to put the battery on charge to see if that helps. If anybody out there knows better I would be grateful for advice.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
You're very probably on the right lines - the E63/64 are VERY sensitive to battery failure. You may well find the battery will not recover sufficiently to provide enough charge, and a new one will be needed. Hope I'm wrong though, but once batteries go they don't usually come back at all/for long!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

this has just happened to my car. Did the battery recharge work? I was having warnings about the battery before it happened, so seems reasonable to think so. The fuses were fine...

thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would assume disconnecting the battery and recharging it would sort that out for you. By having the battery disconnected it will also allow the ECU to reset itself and disable any energy saving modes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts