BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my car is reporting 'increased emissions' Ive also noticed that its slightly misfiring and when i opened the bonnet there was a strange smell.
I dont know if its related but it started after putting in diesel from a large supermarket. I usually go to esso or a total garage.

Im reluctant to drive it as i do have a customer protect warrenty having recently purchased the car from a local dealer ( nov 11)

A friend ran a diagnostic and it returned P3263 & P1278. Im not very technical when it comes to cars and have read a variety of advice with people mentioning diferent possible causes.

I wondered whether anyone has experienced these codes and can provide any assistance as to the cause.

Look forward to your replies

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
They are related to the lambda sensor, I wonder if their fuel was contaminated?

Or it could a red herring for a MAP or MAF sensor issue or a air leak some where, the car is trying to over fuel and the lambda sensor is either reporting a fault or reproting excess O2 in the exhaust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seems to be the fuel injector which is causing the problem. They plugged in a reader and cylinder 3 is giving very high readings, looks like an air mass fault and smooth controller fault. Cars booked in for a weeks time to change the fuel injector, lets hope it resolves the problem..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel injector has been changed, the problem continues. whats strange is the high reading keeps on jumping between cyclinders. They've done a compression test and a cylinder test and finding no faults. They now think its a electrical fault, or possible a fault with the cpu.

I hope not, i wonder if its just a fault in the fuel injector harness ( someone mentioned this to me)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this as I have the same problem with mine. Increased emissions came up, I took it in to the garage, they did the swirl flap blanking, put in a new injector module and it ended up coming home with the same fault as before. I was told it's just an EGR problem and I shouldn't worry, I wish they'd have told me that before I paid out £400. They also checked the turbo for leaks but it was fine. Mine is also showing a high reading in one cylinder but it's always the same one (5th cylinder).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They believe the problems with the manifold and are replacing it. They said if i didn't replace it then swirl flap blanking would hopefully resolve the problem. Ill find out in the next couple of days and then provide some more info

thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
You are throwing good money after bad, there is no need to replace the inlet manifold unless it is split and always get injectors tested before replacing it costs no more than a tenner.

As stated earlier it is likley to be one of three things, a dirty of failing MAP sensor, a dirty MAF sensor or a split vacuum hose to the EGR valve

Cleaning the EGR valve with brake cleaner and Inlet Manifold properly in caustic soda will also help improve performance

I know it is under warranty but each trip to garage is a day your car is off the road and a day of faffing about

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bolo,
Did you get the problem sorted? I agree with matthew but i'd like to know what the problem was, incase I get any similar issues.
(I know this thread is a few months)
cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this?

I have the same p1278 and it seems like I have no boost. I just replaced all the seals around intake to the turbo.

I found two cracks in the exhaust manifold but I don't think they are new cracks so I don't know why turbo has decided to stop now. I can however year the turbo making normal noise at lover revs..
This.
I did re-enabled the egr with re-connecting the thin vacuum pipe (3mm id) but turbo wasn't working before I re-connected it...

I also have no speedo due to faulty abs sensor.

I have just spent 4 days overhauling most of the car and I have now made other issues :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Turned out to be the wrong abs sensors in the trailing arms I fitted.
The engine was in a limp mode because it wasn't getting a signal from the sensors for the Speedo, abs etc...
I thinks it's a safety feature for the turbo so it's not over revved when stationary or neutral..
No elm btw when in this limp mode.
Hope this is useful if someone has the same problem.. a faulty near side rear abs sensor would also give you this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts