BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. i'm new to bimmerforums.
just cleaned out my crankcase filter, didn't seem to bad 2004 e60 38,ooo.
following reading a very good link on her.(include photos) its not a easy job lots of 5mm bolts to undo and you have to remove the air filter top cover too. be very carefull of the wire to the injectors, just removed 2 male torq srews special tool needed to move wiring harness.
any ideas weather my car has swirl flaps or nor are thgey a serious problem ?

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi everyone. i'm new to bimmerforums.
just cleaned out my crankcase filter, didn't seem to bad 2004 e60 38,ooo.
following reading a very good link on her.(include photos) its not a easy job lots of 5mm bolts to undo and you have to remove the air filter top cover too. be very carefull of the wire to the injectors, just removed 2 male torq srews special tool needed to move wiring harness.
any ideas weather my car has swirl flaps or nor are thgey a serious problem ?
Hi Paul

I moved this to the E60 5 series tech section where it needs to be .

I think the Swirl Flaps and Turbo failure was cured for 2004 models of 320D,330D and 520D and 530D

so you may be in luck...

it may still have swirl flaps....but they are redesigned NOT to break off so I have been told...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got an E60 530D, built in July 2004, and I "had" the upgraded 4.5 mm flaps (as opposed to the 4.0 mm flaps). I took the manifold off to have a look, but then decided I didn't want to be one of the first of the upgraded flappers to have one swallowed, so I went ahead and removed them. (There's actually a thread going on another forum mentioning an E60 with an upgraded flap giving way, so it's not looking too good for them either). I haven't noticed any difference in power or consumption since I removed them either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swirl flaps e60

o.k thanks, is your car auto or manual. i though i read somewhere manual car didn't have swirl flaps on 530d e60 after april 2004?.
is it a difficult job to remove them? and what sort of fuel consumption are you getting now.?
thanks paul
i want to keep the car so need to do the best for it. i'm getting 42 mpg (man 6 speed)motorway driving but trying not to go above 2250 rpm approx 80 mph.
bu its very easy to good faster. and loose your licence.!!!!!!
regards Paul

·
Registered
46 Posts
My car's an auto. Consumption unfortunately is only around 25 mpg., but that's all very short runs. Sorry, can't help you on whether or not the manual has the flaps.
For their removal, which is quite straight-forward, I would allow about 6 or 7 hrs. (A couple of hours for removing the inlet manifold-unless you've done it before-same for dismantling the flaps and cleaning the manifold, and then a couple for putting it all back together, but when the manifold is off, it's worth removing the EGR valve and giving it a good clean, so I would allow another hour or so for that).
I must admit, now that I've removed mine, it's definitely "peace of mind".

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I've got an E60 530D, built in July 2004, and I "had" the upgraded 4.5 mm flaps (as opposed to the 4.0 mm flaps). I took the manifold off to have a look, but then decided I didn't want to be one of the first of the upgraded flappers to have one swallowed, so I went ahead and removed them. (There's actually a thread going on another forum mentioning an E60 with an upgraded flap giving way, so it's not looking too good for them either). I haven't noticed any difference in power or consumption since I removed them either.
I've read that or another thread like it, was a 53 plate e60 530d at 60,000 miles and full main dealer service history, part of swirl flap broke off and ruined engine, main dealer fitted new engine costing just under £2000 :frown

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
why would want to remove them anyway they dont just drop off?
I think you'll find they do shaft69. The swivel pins have been known to break where the flaps are screwed in to the pin (the weak point!). The result being the flap is swallowed in to the engine. The repair being a new engine, and I've read reports of that costing upwards of £10K.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I totally agree with Eddie. Everyone everywhere from the driver to motor journalists agree that there is a design fault issue concerning BMW swirl flaps and the agreed mode of action is to remove them and replace with blanks. (or modify the existing ones)
The only people who disagree with this is BMW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.