BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post in here:)

I am currently crunching some numbers to see whether I hold onto my 2004 330Ci, or stump up some more cash and invest in a newer model. My question is, what common problems have you guys seen on models similar to mine occurring at or after the 5-year-old point? Anything nasty/pricey that I should be aware of? So far, however, so good!

Thanks everyone,

sammysierra

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I have a 2001 version of yours and so far it has had all of two rear springs replaced, thats it, oh and a leaky washer bottle, nothing else mechanically.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More snags

Cheers guys.

The only snags I've had to date have been 2 x ignition coils which both needed replacing at a cost of about £80 each. These were accompanied by the Emission caution light and a marked drop in engine power.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
that could happen to any car....ask a vw owner about coils lol
the only achilles heel with the e46 is the suspension,particularly the bushes.springs can break and the rear topmounts aren't the strongest.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
that could happen to any car....ask a vw owner about coils lol
the only achilles heel with the e46 is the suspension,particularly the bushes.springs can break and the rear topmounts aren't the strongest.
I agree with mark, if your bushes do go replace them with powerflex replacements, alot better than the standard ones :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The PowerFlex bushes like the others have said is the way to go.

If not then go for the Lemforder ones, these are OEM. Don't opt for the cheaper versions i.e Q-drive- those don't last long.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh yeah, I had my rear spring snap totally (I think they are just a bar of sprung steel???), but that was hitting a pothole at 50mph...... it was a deep-un too, so not a regular occurrence, just a bit o' bad luck....

Tom

·
Registered
753 Posts
I too had a rear spring on my old e46 go saggy and on the verge of snapping. I upgraded to eibach pro springs as they were cheaper for all 4 than 2 OEM rear ones, problem solved.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Coil packs can go but i think that was more on earlier ones and i had a passenger occupancy sensor go on my old e46 coupe but that was about it they are pretty reliable if looked after:thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts