BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to access the starter motor to change it but am struggling to see how the starter motor will come out when i finally get the 2nd E12 torx bolt off.
I am working from the top of the car, do I need to remove any coolant/air-con plumbing, glow-plug stuff, or anything else in particular?
Should I bother changing the crank sensor whilst im there? (car has 225k)
I also have an intermittent boost problem on hotter days on motorway runs but i think this is actuator related.. Is there anything to check under the manifold which could also cause this boost problem? (turbo also has 225k and never been touched)

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So empty the rad i guess.. Those pipes seem to be the biggest obstruction... Long

Should i do the crank sensor? If so get the bosch one or the cheaper one?

·
Registered
196 Posts
i only did one of those pipes, and not much coolant leaked, wouldn't bother with the radiator.
what do you expect to happen from a new crank sensor? i wouldn't bother if it is working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, good points. I was in a bit of a flap yesterday. Looking at it now and what you're saying makes perfect sense.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So ive just got it out without having to take any pipes off. A special really low profile little ratchet from snap on made it easy to get the lower screw out after i loosened it with an e12 spanner (in case anyone wants to know in future)

The 2 long screws which hold the starter together were both loose and come out by about 4mm, therfore, the whole body of the motor is loose.. Im going to open it up and inspect. I can only imagine they have slowly come undone over the years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant see anything wrong with the internals... If the body is not tight together then i assume the circuit is not strong enough for current to flow and start the engine properly. I'll just clean it up and put it back in, give it a go before i put the inlet back on and report back..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car was cranking really slow and was barely starting. Ive got it back on with only 1 bolt.. Wondering whether i should test it with the 1 bolt on or put both bolts in first.. What do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts