BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 320cd - Slight Fumes/Smoke in cab?

742 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  T99 NYF 
#1 ·
Hi folks, hoping for a bit of help here.

Recently bought a E46 320CD Msport, and all been good so far, but noticed when I get a bit right foot friendly that the inside of the car seems to get slightly smokey and smell of fumes?? Is it a simple case of a pollen filter or am I looking at something more serious?

Also have an outside temp showing of +50, should this just be an easy outside temp swap?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

#2 ·
Pollen filter wont solve the fumes,you may have a leaking rocker cover.Do you get fumes in cabin while stopped at traffic lights or by letting the car idle at standstill= broken flexi on exhaust.
Replacing temp sensor should sort the +50 but check the wiring and connector to it first.
The front inner arch plastic must be removed to access the sensor.

#3 ·
Fumes in car e46

Check you're flexible pipe on down pipe it sounds like it is split, it's expensive to change because it is part of the cat , but you can get it repaired, my mate had same problem on a 520 d he had the flexi cut out and replaced with a new section for 150 quid by a custom made exhaust place hope this is a help!

#5 ·
Had the same problem with mine,fumes in the cab from cold start and sitting in traffic. It was the flexi joint just after the cat. Got a new flexi on ebay and got it welded in for £90. Shouldn't really cost more than that to weld a new one on.

Not saying it's def your problem but something to check.

#6 ·
Cheers for th replies guys, I'll hopefully get it checked out over th weekend. Th fumes only really come in th cab if I have a heavy foot, but will check th flexi out, and also th wiring on th outside temp sensor, and will post up any findings.

Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.