BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may just be me but when I change the gear sometimes it seems like my gear knob is a little crunchy pushing into gear
Its hard to explain but when it goes into gear, its just not as smooth as I would expect.
It doesnt always do it though ive noticed...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unsure, ive just bought it, and its done 60,000 miles on the dot. When should it be done?

·
Banned
576 Posts
A long time ago. No seriously you need to change it ASAP and then every 30,000 miles (50,000kms). For blighty Redline D4ATF for g'box, RL 75W90 for diff, and RL D4ATF for p/s as used by most on BMW forums who change their fluids. You won't believe the difference it makes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, will this take away the crunching feel? How much should I expect to pay?

Sorry but "For blighty Redline D4ATF for g'box, RL 75W90 for diff, and RL D4ATF for p/s" makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronnie, I think I will DIY it next weekend, thats the gearbox then, any chance for a Diff Tutorial?

·
Banned
576 Posts
Sorry. Redline is an oil company who make oils using the best available basestock and additives. Basastock used is Polyol Ester (PE) which is a Group V oil the same basestock as used in jet engines. So Redline 75W90 for the differential, Redline D4ATF for the manual transmission, and same for the power steering (p/s).

·
Banned
576 Posts
Yes of course the OEM oil is ATF as used in many manual trans. I have an email from Dave Granquist Redline tech who confirmed this should be used. I currently have Redline MTL in my trans but to thick for a Canberra winter let alone an English winter (I remember them well) so I'll be changing come autumn to a 50/50 blend of MTL and D4ATF. And no clutch fluid is brake fluid which is not the same as trans fluid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes of course the OEM oil is ATF as used in many manual trans. I have an email from Dave Granquist Redline tech who confirmed this should be used. I currently have Redline MTL in my trans but to thick for a Canberra winter let alone an English winter (I remember them well) so I'll be changing come autumn to a 50/50 blend of MTL and D4ATF. And no clutch fluid is brake fluid which is not the same as trans fluid.
Thanks sprintman :thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts