BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post, I've trawled though lots of forums and threads trying to find some answers.

The car recently started missfiring and was running on what sounded like 3 cylinders, tested all the coils and spark plugs, 1 coil was faulty, I replaced that and the spark plugs as they looked like they needed it. Tested it after all this and it still wasn't right. I then checked all the coils/plugs again and found another dead coil (not sure how that was missed the first time). It was around this time a neighbour plugged his laptop with some OBD11 software in, all it came back with was cylinder missfire on multiple cylinders. He cleared the errors and we tried again, this time it only showed 1 cylinder missfiring. Looking at the live data you could see errors on the cylinders whilst at idle, they'd go to zero when revved though.

Replaced the second faulty coil but it still hasn't solved the idle issue. From looking at lots of threads I've checked and cleaned the MAF, not found any splits in air hoses, changed the crank case vent valve (which was pretty gunked up with mayo), none of these have solved the problem though.

When i start the car there's sometimes some faint popping sounds from under the car midway along the exhaust possibly, the car sounds ok while the choke holds the revs around 1K, when it drops to around 6/700 it starts to fluctuate and there's quite a lot of vibration. If i rev the car above 2k it sounds ok, but it splutters before getting there.

If it was a sensor failure, surely there'd be more codes on the laptop, could the fuel filter cause this/ I'm at a loss as to what to look at next.

Cheers

·
Registered
190 Posts
Replacing all coils and new plugs should solve it , swap plugs or coils before to confirm if you want but if one item fails then the others will follow , it might need a seafoam if it continues to fault but unlikely (cant hurt though)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts