BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bimmer gents,

(1st post so many apologies if this is in the wrong place).

I have wanted a 6-er since they first came out and now find myself in the lucky position of being able to get one.

My head is saying get a 630i - newer model, less gremlins, more "frugal"

My heart is saying get a 645ci - v8, v8, and v8.

I am under no illusion that these are cheap cars to run and am going to budget for that, however, obviously I want to try and get the best I can.

Some questions:-

-- the autobox plastic sump - seems these are likely to go around 60k - is this a problem for the 630i too?
-- any other scary things to look out for in either model? Heard talk of problems with vacuum pump?

-- Are there tell-tale things to look for (other than the paperwork) to check that proper things have been done?

and the final and most important question for you all:-

If you had £13k and you had to spend it on a 6 series right now - what would you be looking for? 630? 645? Newer and leggier or older with "right" miles?

many thanks

al

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bimmer gents,

(1st post so many apologies if this is in the wrong place).

I have wanted a 6-er since they first came out and now find myself in the lucky position of being able to get one.

My head is saying get a 630i - newer model, less gremlins, more "frugal"

My heart is saying get a 645ci - v8, v8, and v8.

I am under no illusion that these are cheap cars to run and am going to budget for that, however, obviously I want to try and get the best I can.

Some questions:-

-- the autobox plastic sump - seems these are likely to go around 60k - is this a problem for the 630i too?
-- any other scary things to look out for in either model? Heard talk of problems with vacuum pump?

-- Are there tell-tale things to look for (other than the paperwork) to check that proper things have been done?

If you had £13k and you had to spend it on a 6 series right now - what would you be looking for? 630? 645? Newer and leggier or older with "right" miles?

many thanks

al

645 with the "right" miles purely on driving pleasure and performance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Difficult to tell

Hi. It would be difficult to say which is the better as you would need to have owned both to have a valid opinion. However I have just bought a 645 05 reg at less than 30k Mileage. Touch wood its been fantastic up to now.

My advice is to use auto trader and their checking service. I discovered two that had finance outstanding and one that was registered as a write off. I went and looked at two others then came to this one.I knew very quickly that it was far better than the two I had seen before and bought it on the spot.

Even got the original invoice which showed the extras purchased.

Good luck
:)

·
Registered
153 Posts

many thanks

al
I bought my 2006 (56) 630i with 30k on the clock.
Now it's got 37k on it, just done near 2k in the last few days (calais-monaco)
before i took off for the journey, i booked in for general check and i was lucky to find out the sump leak.
I changed it under the warranty but if i didn't have the warranty, it would've set me back around 700quid.

For any kind of budget, I would say, go for V8.
I wouldn't say I regret of buying 630i but I have to admit, I get stomachaches when I see 650i blasting through next to me on motorway with V8 noise.
You get fantastic straight 6 noise from 630i though, quite nice.
Not as rough as e46 M3 but smooth like 335i.

I wish I could write more, but I am on holiday at the moment and quite drunk.
Will get back to this as soon as I go back home.
If you're buying anytime soon, please search this forum with search tools.
Good luck!:thumbsup

Reactions: Al C

·
Registered
69 Posts
im totally biased but im saying 645 all the way

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

For any kind of budget, I would say, go for V8.
I wouldn't say I regret of buying 630i but I have to admit, I get stomachaches when I see 650i blasting through next to me on motorway with V8 noise.
That's a real honest admission - thanks for that and that's always been my fear. Heart is winning out here and definitely leaning towards 645ci.

Have already looked at 3 (one 630 and two 645's) near me and am going to have a look at a nice looking private seller one on Saturday. Will report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had £13k to spend and went for the 645 over the 630. No question.

Mine was a one owner car with 50k on the clock. I'm budgeting on having to spend £1k to £1.5k to fix things like gearbox sump (£400 - although in my case, this was covered by warranty...just); air con heat exchange valve thing; and renewing some bushes / ball joints in front suspension to freshen it up.

It's a lot of car for the money. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same here, V8 all the way, although a 635d would be interesting...

Had mine 2 years, and apart from initial outlay to get it the way I wanted, all I've spent is servicing and a couple of visits for roof sensors. Bought it with 28k, it's now on 55k, just had plugs changed. Running costs as expected, 22-24mpg on average.

T

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: went to see two yesterday.

1) 04 645ci convertible

Pros: service record was very good. Bodywork was good. just past 40k miles. Good spec (sport seats, bluetooth, sat nav, M-wheel etc.) all electrics working.

Cons: badly kerbed wheels (refurb required - not a real problem but a bit of a pain), interior was in a very bad state (looked like a single guy's car and had perhaps been used for Ikea trips - lots of scratches/holes in interior trim especially in the back) - roof had obviously been down in the rain too - lots of water stains on the interior of the roof (probably sort-able but a bit of a pain). Air con obviously not often used - it worked but smelt of wet dog (fixable with new filter or the boiling kettle trick). Laquer worn away on M-wheel (seen this a lot on cars with the M-Wheel - cheapo materials?)

It was close - but not close enough - so walked away.

2) 04 645ci coupe

Pros: interior was in great condition. Got a good vibe from the seller. Rims in good condition. Sat nav. Cheaper - £11.5k

Cons: 5 previous owners, +60k miles, runflats on their way out. Body work not great (parking scuff - easily fixable - big dink on side - not so easily fixed). Poverty spec seats - not heated and without the adjustable thigh support (useful for me at 6' 3")

It was close - but not close enough - so walked away.

Don't think I'm being too picky - I have a list of "must-haves" and a list of "would be nices" - I'm prepared to compromise on the latter but not the former.

Search continues....

·
Registered
433 Posts
You've done the right thing by walking away, you should buy these cars at mint condition.
Have you looked to buy from BMW dealers? you will pay £2k more but worth it , £1k or so will be the BM warranty, well worth it and they will come in showroom condition.
I bought mine from dealer, came with 4 brand new 19" wheel and run flat tyres and they done over £1k warranty repairs including new discs and pads.
Good luck in your search

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would love to buy BMW used-approved but 13k is a concrete limit for me so any used-approved at that price would have starship miles.

I'm holding out for that elusive one-owner cherished example. My current car has 102k miles but has been well looked after and in far better nick than all the used 6ers I've seen so far.

The right one is out there somewhere, just gotta be patient.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i bought mine at the start of the year and i still definately stick by the 'must have options' i was looking at so i would advise to look for

Pro nav sat nav (wider screen and much better options)

sports seats look and feel much better than the standard seats

logic 7 sound system is nice but not a must have as the standard system is good too

make sure your happy with the colour of the interior trim as its expensive to replace with a one you like (personally i prefer the aluminium trim but most like the black)

heated seats are fantastic in the winter as the leather gets really cold

As far as the 630 vs 645 i would say 645 all the way! my friend has a 630 and his mpg is not much better than mine but the performance is in a different league! the exhaust tips are much nicer on the 645 too

go test drive as many as you can and see which ones right for you

good luck

Reactions: Al C

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
:confused

i didnt think you was looking for a vert ??? still got a nice black one here :hihi:hihi

get another 500 and you can take it with original wheels that i will get refurbed for you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:confused

i didnt think you was looking for a vert ??? still got a nice black one here :hihi:hihi

get another 500 and you can take it with original wheels that i will get refurbed for you
haha - sorry Chambo, when we spoke I wasn't looking for a vert at all. However, thought I'd better have a look at one just to expand my horizons. I'm now open to the idea of roof-down V8'ing :thumbsup

I'll PM you re: your motor.

al

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll be selling mine sometime soon, as moving to Canada next year, but want about £15500 for it. '04 Reg, 38k, 3 owners, all extras, inc 2.5 years warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be selling mine sometime soon, as moving to Canada next year, but want about £15500 for it. '04 Reg, 38k, 3 owners, all extras, inc 2.5 years warranty.
Thanks Gooner - let me know when you are selling just in case I'm still searching then.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gents,

A little update: went to see 2 more this afternoon. First was very nice. The second however was a peach. Could very well be "the one". Ever so slightly out of budget so haggling begins tomorrow. Watch this space...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gents,

A little update: went to see 2 more this afternoon. First was very nice. The second however was a peach. Could very well be "the one". Ever so slightly out of budget so haggling begins tomorrow. Watch this space...
Good luck mate, seems like the decisions been already made, the 645ci.
guess i don't need to explain more on 630i.:hihi
it's important to make a right purchase but don't spend too much time or effort either, i'm sure you'll get a superb one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long term 645Ci - best car I've ever owned

I know you've already decided on a 645, but I though I would say a word on the mileage / options compromise.

I bought an 05 645Ci over two years ago with around 50k - it now has 90K and I have enjoyed every mile - it is up to you how hard you push it, but I regularly see over 32 MPG on a sedate motorway run.

:thumbsup This is the best car I have ever owned and that includes Porsches and a Ferrari.

:frown Problems:

:jaw-dropping Gearbox sump and wiring gland replacement a must if you see oil on the drive - I had mine done at 88k - cost about £350 with oil. The gearbox is a pig for about 500 miles afterward as it re-learns the shift points, but it miraculously fixes itself in due course. Use manual mode during this period and be patient with it.

:eek Very common indoor swimming pool effect was caused by leaves blocking the drains under the offside pollen filter. Take this off and clear the drains (2) every winter - no matter how clean the car, stuff will accumulate there especially under the brake servo.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts