BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing the above normally after the car has been parked overnight - manual indicates that this means Steering Lock Jammed and suggest that you remove the key fob then reinsert whilst rocking the steering wheel. I have read that there is a known fault with 1 and 3 series locks and if normal diagnostics don't resolve this then there is a BMW technical bulletin and if the column needs replacing then it is likely that this may be done under warranty even if the vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You can get the software updated to the latest spec which may rectify the fault, if it doesn't then you will need a new column, yellow means there's a problem pending, red means complete failure which may leave you stranded

It is a known fault with the steering.

Also could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been experiencing the above normally after the car has been parked overnight - manual indicates that this means Steering Lock Jammed and suggest that you remove the key fob then reinsert whilst rocking the steering wheel. I have read that there is a known fault with 1 and 3 series locks and if normal diagnostics don't resolve this then there is a BMW technical bulletin and if the column needs replacing then it is likely that this may be done under warranty even if the vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Hi Stv555 (or anyone else that can help),

I bought my 2006 BMW 330d SE Auto two weeks ago and it has just displayed the yellow warning light to say that the “electric steering wheel lock jammed”! I can start the car OK and I am not noticing any problems but the yellow warning light comes on each time I get into the car.

The car is 6 weeks out of warranty and I am concerned that I will be faced with a hefty bill if I take this to a BMW dealer so I’m interested to know how you got on with your problem.

Did you get it resolved? How much did it cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi Stv555 (or anyone else that can help),

I bought my 2006 BMW 330d SE Auto two weeks ago and it has just displayed the yellow warning light to say that the “electric steering wheel lock jammed”! I can start the car OK and I am not noticing any problems but the yellow warning light comes on each time I get into the car.

The car is 6 weeks out of warranty and I am concerned that I will be faced with a hefty bill if I take this to a BMW dealer so I’m interested to know how you got on with your problem.

Did you get it resolved? How much did it cost?

Thanks
Can be common on early e90's, requires a steering column change :frown, sometimes they try a software update but rarely fixes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there - just joined the forum and saw this thread. My 2005 120d got the red lock warning just after Christmas and had to be towed home then towed to dealers. Faulty steering column officially but we already had this replaced under warranty in 2006 - they are talking about goodwill contribution to the replacement but nothing definite yet - wondering what happened with your problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there - just joined the forum and saw this thread. My 2005 120d got the red lock warning just after Christmas and had to be towed home then towed to dealers. Faulty steering column officially but we already had this replaced under warranty in 2006 - they are talking about goodwill contribution to the replacement but nothing definite yet - wondering what happened with your problems
Unfortunately, one time posters don't usually bother coming back after a year so I wouldn't hold your breath :hihi

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your car is less than 60 months old then you may get a goodwill contributions, older than 60 months then no chance im afraid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts