BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a second hand Z4 (2003 E85) about 2 months ago and so far I love it. I have had a few teething problems however (just adds to the car's character though IMO).

The drivers side tweeter was making intermittent crackly noises whether the stereo was on or off. I took it back to the garage I bought it from to have this and a few other things sorted (the CD multi-changer wasn't working either so this was replaced). When I picked it up they said that they couldn't find a wiring fault with the tweeter and suggested that the speaker itself was probably faulty and I should try and get a new one. To stop it making the noise until then (which was pretty unpleasant) they disconnected the tweeter in the door.

I've just bought a replacement tweeter but when I went to install it I realised neither tweeter (driver or passenger) nor the subs behind the seats are working (I have the top Hi-fi Carver system I believe with the Sat Nav system). I am currently only getting sound from the mid-range speakers in the doors and behind the seats (I thought it was all sounding a bit weak but though it was because I hadn't got round to tweaking the DSP settings).

Could the garage have disconnected these speakers elsewhere whilst troubleshooting or changing the CD multi-changer? Where should I be looking to find a loose or dis-connection? Is this likely to be on the amp in the boot or in the centre cubbyhole in amongst all the electronics in there

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adski13

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Well the problem seems to have worsened! Now I only have sound coming from the mid's in the doors and the mid behind the passenger seat! :mad Kick pannels, tweeters and subs as well as the mid behind the driver's seat are all dead as far as I can tell.

I pulled the amp from the boot and gave it the once over with my untrained eye. No obvious damage from water ingress, etc. I've had the battery disconnected for about half an hour as I've heard that can kick things back into life. No luck though it seems! :frown

If my amp was bust, wouldn't I be getting no sound rather than just some or could the speakers that are working be running from the head unit and not the amp? Seems strange that only one mid behind the seats is working though if that's the case!

Is there anything specific I should be testing? I even went to the local car audio shop this weekend to see if they had any bright ideas but no luck there. (Got a replacement system spec'd up whilst there though just in case but to improve significantly on the premium system it looks like I'm talking mega-bucks! :jaw-dropping).

The other weird thing though is that my DSP settings still seem to be working as I can hear the echo setting doing its thing when turning off the stereo! :confused Surely that means the amp has some life in at as that's where the DSP functionality sits isn't it?

Does anyone in the Surrey/Hampshire (near M3) area have a DSP amp in (or out of) their car that I could test in mine? If so I'm more than happy to use it as an excuse for a drive and pop round! I'm loathed to shell out on a new amp or full-on replacement audio setup if it's something stupid that I've missed! Any suggestions/thoughts/help anyone can provide?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sounds like fubar'd crossovers in the amp. eBay is the place to go. Are you sure it's not HK rather than Carver? Anyways, you need a Z4 one because the amp is tuned to the cabin, if you look up the PN on realoem.com you'll see that although the E46/X5/E39 share the same connector, the amp is not the same part number. X3 uses the same amp though.

Since the HK/Carver amps command a large premium (£100+), you could get a lear amp from any iBus car (struggle to make £10) and test the speakers with that.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BT52&mospid=47797&btnr=65_1209&hg=65&fg=25
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=65129138102
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=61138364862

1 - 4 of 4 Posts