BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it gets cold - around freezing mark - the battery / alternator light will occasionally come on, on my car - normally after being driven a couple of miles down the road, turned off and re-started again.

If I check the battery, it will always be showing green on the 'condition eye', and the car always starts without any sign of a low battery.

The car has it's original battery so nearly 9 years old, and has been doing this for the last 5 years - any ideas?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas what it could be?

My own theory is that whatever causes the red light to light up - voltage regulator? is incorrectly calibrated and should light up when the battery output has dropped by a certain amount i.e the battery condition indicator no longer green, but does so prematurely when there is not a real problem?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the charging rate checked out a couple of years ago when it was in for service at an indie, they could find no problem! It's one of those things that I now refer to as a 'feature' rather than a problem because there have never been any consequences! i've had jump leads permanently in the boot for the last 5 years, but I've never needed to use them.

I keep waiting for the battery to eventually die - it's 9 years old, small and with the electric steering, power hood, heated seats etc. you would have thought it would do the decent thing and die, but it won't - when it does I'll replace with a battery with a higher CCA, because I have been told that part of the problem could be the amount of juice it needs going in to hibernation which I've been told takes 20 minutes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts