BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I noticed my car (BMW 745i - 2003) has used a little oil since the last service 5,000 miles ago. It's touching the minimum line currently (mileage 60,000).

So I want to top it up, but have no idea which oil I should use.

Any recommendations please???

I have some Mobil 1 0W40 left over from my Merc. Is that suitable??

Thank you!

Lion Heart :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check with who did your last service as to what oil type they used (might be on the receipt). These engines are specified for long life oil which is quite different to standard oil, and far more expensive too. Long life oil is about £45 for a 4 litre can, therefore we need £90 worth for our engines, but this works out more economical than having two services done with standard life oil. A long life oil service is 19000 miles with our engines. I don't know if you can mix oil types, but obviously, if you put some of your standard oil in, your current oil will need changing sooner even though it might have long life oil in already! I bought 1 litre of oil from Halfords a while back and it was £15.

Just noticed, you are based in Hereford. I live near Leominster if ever you need to use my Carsoft diagnostics.

Hayne.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm no mechanic mate but in my experience you can't mess with oil. It's literally the blood of your car. Call a BMW main dealer and get them to tell you what you should be using. Just go straight to the parts department, give them the reg and bingo. Also get a quote, you will be surprised hopefully on the nice side.
Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ours list 0w-30 all the way through to 5w-50 long life fully synthetic only i personally do not like the 0w way too thin for me i use valvoline 5w50 2 cans of 4 litres around £80 and of course i swear by ZX1 friction eliminator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your best bet is to go to Halfords. Dont ask the employees! There should be a booklet besides the oil section, stating majority of car manufacturers/ models and the correct oil.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
If you don't know the history of your car's oil then change it, together with the oil filter. Engine oil is just not something to be taken lightly.

With regard to brands and types I've been happy with Magnatec ever since it was introduced, for normal pedestrian use here in the UK, while I use a fully synthetic oil in the car I drive on the German motorways. I buy Magnatec from the local HiQ shop - they get it in drums and charge about 50% of the high street price if you bring you own cannister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.