BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've searched the forums and can't find anything specific to my problem.
After starting and driving my car from cold (overnight), the transmission works well for the first 2-3 minutes - gear changes are smooth and the torque converter doesn't seem to lock in gears 3-5. After the first 3 minutes, on light throttle and steady speed in traffic (50 Kph), the torque converter seems to lock and then release itself repeatedly. It's almost imperceptible, but the rev gauge bounces 200-300 revs as the torque converter locks then releases. This continues for about 7-10 minutes when the torque converter finally locks into gear decisively and the revs remain stable. From this point, the transmission performs faultlessly.
At all times gear changes are smooth on light and heavy throttle and decelerating. I've had no fault notifications. I have had the ATF (Mobile 1 synthetic) changed with no difference.
Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this normal ?
Best regards.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
There is/was a part on the gearbox program that tries to hold the car in low gears to heat the box oil quicker, but it doesn't seem like that matches your symptoms.

BMW did often figure out glitches in the gearbox ECU, and made updates to the software that removed the "hunting"

I guess investigations could start with checking for fault codes, and maybe enquiring if there is a gearbox software update, and what it would cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts