BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 53 plate 545 on Saturday and was very happy with it....for 17 miles....then I had a simultaneous ABS & transmission failure....nursed it back to the dealer (non BMW) to get it sorted.

They started it and drove and all the problem indicators had gone on the dash(the car then drove perfectly normally, so presumably the problem is non mechanical). So I took it home.

I got literally 500 metres down the road when I had another set of warning lights came on. The screen was turning itself off and on and the car was again in safety mode.

This time the dealer went out (with me) for 30 mins and the only fault light that came on was a "battery charge fault". They then though it was a duff battery. So I left it with them and went back home in my focus.

Monday morning they take it to a local indy BMW garage who charge the battery. The dealer goes to collect and gets a "low coolant level" warning on his way back. So I didnt get it back last night.

I just spoke to the dealer and he says the garage are now going to do a full software upgrade to the car.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? Do you think that a software upgrade will sort it? How long does a software upgrade take?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Defo mate, a software upgrade can, and usually does, cure a lot of niggles.

Think of it as microsoft windows needing patched all the time because they didn't do enough "real life" tests.

Well this is bmw doing the same but for ECU and, mini ECU. Basically your car wouldn't run if it didn't have the proper software. Cars rely so heavily on computers management systems (software facilitates this) these days....

Hope it cures your serious problems! Red :)

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
PLease read the posting rules...
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/bimmerforums-uk-forum-guidelines-t2257/

I have retitled this thread and moved it to the correct forum.

It is possible a software upgrade may cure the problems, but it is only a BMW main dealer who has access to them....

If they are doing a software upgrade, it involves plugging their computer into the cars diagnostic socket. Then updating the ECUs software version.

I wouldnt expect it to take longer than a couple of hours including testing afterwards.

My guess is a faulty alternator.... tell them to check what charging output is at the battery terminals with the car running :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers....I asked if they had checked the alternator and he said "they would have...yes". If this doesnt cure it I'll either ask for my money back or ask them to take it to a main dealer.

Anyone have any experience with hexagon service dept in kentish town?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It seems that jump starting the car can cause all sorts of electrical problems in bmws, i would ask the garage if the car had been jump started at any time, as you may find electrical problems later on, bmws should have their batterys disconnected and trickle charged to rectify a flat battery, many garages use jump packs to jump start cars and this can short out things and cause the problems that seem to be appearing on your car, also a faulty alternator can cause the same issue, and can sometimes cause the car to pretty much shut down

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can jumpstart a BMW but you have to make sure that you leave the heaters, lights, de-mister on, so that the ECU does not get damaged by sudden discharge when you remove the leads. Best way to start is to use a booster pack with an isolator switch.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
When the jump pack is disconnected the alternator all of a sudden kicks in with a huge boost of amps to charge the battery which blows ECUs if not careful, what NealP says is correct, turn on the lights e.t.c to "soak" up the surge :thumbsup

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...an update...

Apparently the software upgrade did not make the slightest difference. They took it for a test drive and after about 20 miles got a full set of warning lights.

They are now convinced its a "battery charging fault" and are going to change the negative connection lead.

I am starting to think this garage havent got a clue. Maybe a full refund and back onto autotrader is the answer...

PS just read the other thread....very interesting! I have been asking them if they have checked the alternator since Monday...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, latest update...the new battery lead was fitted and they got a battery undercharging problem...so they are now going to replace the alternator....

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Ok, latest update...the new battery lead was fitted and they got a battery undercharging problem...so they are now going to replace the alternator....

Groan, just as you told them earlier.....:mad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Groan, just as you told them earlier.....:mad
I know...

Obviously I realise that they dont want to take the most expensive route to fix it but surely they could have monitored the alternators output on Monday to determine if it was giving the correct charge??

Hopefully this will sort it as I have no clue what to do should it still be playing up! Maybe replace the engine management unit?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...final update (I hope)...Car seems to be running normally with the new Alternator. Am getting it back after work.

Many thanks for all your help, I sincerely hope I never add to this thread again!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Ok...final update (I hope)...Car seems to be running normally with the new Alternator. Am getting it back after work.

Many thanks for all your help, I sincerely hope I never add to this thread again!
We will have fingers crossed and not hold our breath :D

Cheers for the update :cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts