BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to BMWs and new to this forum so go easy on me. I have had a look through all posts and can't find the answer to this but apologies if it has been covered elsewhere. I have just booked my 545 in for a few retrofit extras; iPod kit, iPhone cradle, new sat nav disk and key reprogramming (folding mirrors on lock / unlock.) As part of the job there is a 2hr reprogramming required, is this an update to the iDrive or something seperate? If not should I include an upgrade too, is the difference worthwhile? I am not sure which version I have, I presume it hasn't been updated since 2003, the sat nav is arrows only.

Thanks for any help,
Alex

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi Alenehan, Nice car you have there :)

I was hesitating on the Ipod retrofit, please let us know how you get on with it etc. You are certainly doing a lot to the car :). I am not sure how the I-drive is updated to be honest, I think it is CD / DVD based like the sat nav but I could be wrong. I am not sure what part needs the reprogramming, do you mean the folding mirrors part needs 2 hr reprogramming???

Finally, you have the business sat nav on your car. Once you go for professional sat nav, you pictures and map routes similar to tom tom. Unfortunately the bmw sat nav is not good at all in my opinion :(

You are doing an awful lot of work to your car, as well as going through the dealer. If I were you I would get them to explain it better :)

Hope that helps, if you need anything just ask. Red :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Red, the iPod retrofit is the expensive part so I would only reccomend it if you are really desperate to connect your iPod and dont want to self fit a third party bit of kit (like me.) Parts for the job are £194.91 and labour is £382.95. The reprogramming is neccessary for the iPod allegedly ( I have read differing opinions on this on the board.) The rest of the jobs are being done during this reprogramming time, apparently the key reprogramming is a 5 minute job.

I am booked in for Friday week so I will let you know if it was worth the money :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.