BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2003 (53) E60 520i (2.2 petrol) with a couple of issues.

First is that I just replaced all 4 sets of brake pads on the weekend as I had a warning for the front pads being low so thought i'd do both. Turns out there was alot left on the rears but nevermind, it's been done now. The issue though is that I cannot get the warning light to come off. I've followed the usual process of resetting the odometer trip to 0, then holding the button down to access the menu. Then press/hold on the brake pad option, it says RESET so I let go and press/hold again and it resets the milage to _ _ _ _ _ then changes to -9000. I cannot get it to clear. I've tried this at least a dozen times, i've also tried waiting for it to go to _ _ _ _ _ then turning off the ignition, which also didn't work. Is it possible I need to replace the sensor on the NSF pad too?

The 2nd issue, is that I need to replace the front right parking light bulb (angel eye) but i'm not sure which type of bulb to order as ECP/CP4L don't seem to offer anything when I enter the reg of my car for parking lights. The lights are a slightly yellowy colour so I think they're an older type to the modern ones which I believe are LED?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
120 Posts
DID you change the sensor along with the pads as the problem your having could be the sensor has been in contact with the disc and shorted this is what triggers the warning about low pads

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can't really help you there, it's been a while since i've replaced my brake pads, however i'm not even sure the sensor feeds genuine, live datas to calculate the remaining mileage of the pads. Just like you, the warning came on, yet it turned out they were still okay to use (both front and rear).

In fact i'm not even sure the front sensor was replaced because the plastic housing of the old one was cracking so bad everytime we tried to remove it and it became almost impossible to unplug it without damaging the wires. At the end I just don't remember if we did it or not. I know the rear one was replaced without any problem. Anyway, I was still able to reset the pads' mileage on the odometer using the process you mentionned.

Is the warning about only front or rear, or is it about both ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2003 (53) E60 520i (2.2 petrol) with a couple of issues.

First is that I just replaced all 4 sets of brake pads on the weekend as I had a warning for the front pads being low so thought i'd do both. Turns out there was alot left on the rears but nevermind, it's been done now. The issue though is that I cannot get the warning light to come off. I've followed the usual process of resetting the odometer trip to 0, then holding the button down to access the menu. Then press/hold on the brake pad option, it says RESET so I let go and press/hold again and it resets the milage to _ _ _ _ _ then changes to -9000. I cannot get it to clear. I've tried this at least a dozen times, i've also tried waiting for it to go to _ _ _ _ _ then turning off the ignition, which also didn't work. Is it possible I need to replace the sensor on the NSF pad too?

The 2nd issue, is that I need to replace the front right parking light bulb (angel eye) but i'm not sure which type of bulb to order as ECP/CP4L don't seem to offer anything when I enter the reg of my car for parking lights. The lights are a slightly yellowy colour so I think they're an older type to the modern ones which I believe are LED?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Russ
You will also need to replace the wear sensor.

This diagram should help you. You can select the bulb you want, and the part number can be used online (eBay?) to source it, or at least a model number.

HTH

Changy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. Will replace the pad sensor.

In regard to the bulb, is it likely to be an issue going for an LED bulb over the traditional glass bulb it currently has? I'm not sure if it requires a different amount of power for an LED which could potentially cause electrical issues?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Will replace the pad sensor.

In regard to the bulb, is it likely to be an issue going for an LED bulb over the traditional glass bulb it currently has? I'm not sure if it requires a different amount of power for an LED which could potentially cause electrical issues?
If you source an LED alternative they usually come with an adapter to deal with power issues.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Most of those adapters for the LEDs don't work in BMWs. You will get flicker from the self-tests even if it doesn't throw a fault. Either need to code the cold/warm checks off or you can just leave the lights on all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts