BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,after worrying about them for some time now i am going to attempt to remove the swirl flaps from my intake manifold,i have removed an intake manifold before so im kind of confident about that part but can anyone tell me how i actually remove the flaps , are they bolted on or clipped on and does anything have to go in there place or do you just leave it open,one things for sure i will be glad to see them gone as i really dont want to replace my engine,thanks :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Please post all your vehicle details in the thread title. I have done it for you this time:thumbsup

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks eddie,dont really know if i should remove them or not,shaft 69 reckons there ok left in there but mines done around 100k now and im finding myself increasingly worried about them as mine is the earlier e60, cheers

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hey Eddi, that was a good link thanks for that man :)

Gazz, it may be worth you doing it, I ain't no mechainc but, I'd imagine you would have a lot of gunk built up especially on the EGR valve (?)

To be honest tho, I'd be scared sit less for taking all of that out of my matter and having to battle (all day) to clean it all. And then have to double check you put it all back in the same position otherwise it won't start!

I'd rather pay someone to do that than risk it myself, just me tho.... Red!

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks eddie,dont really know if i should remove them or not,shaft 69 reckons there ok left in there but mines done around 100k now and im finding myself increasingly worried about them as mine is the earlier e60, cheers
Yep, i know exactly how you feel. Mine was built mid 2004, just when they increased the swivel pin to 4.5 mm., but I don't know whether or not it applied to mine. I've only got 40K up, and, like you, I'm undecided too. It's a pity BMW don't do blanking off pieces to replace the swirl flap units if removed, so that they could be replaced if the car wasn't running well without them. I suppose the answer would be just to renew the swirl flaps - now there's an idea, I wonder if BMW just sell the swirl flap units, in which case we'd have the best of both worlds, keeping the flaps and peace of mind.
I read an article recently where a Finnish customer had a conversation with his dealer, who in turn had removed these flaps on behalf of another customer, and the dealer assured him that there would not be any noticable effect, and no programming was required either. - In fact, it may even have been the same bloke that carried out the cleaning job in the link above, in which case, interestingly enough, he just cleaned them, rather than remove them. (I'll try and find the artice again).

Edit; Here it is-(post number 28 on 28th.May '08 at 1.23 pm.);

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=55558&hl=

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been speaking with BMW about a blocked breather on my 54 E60 530d thread 530d MSport Oil Leak. They've offered goodwill as the car is out of warranty but only done 44k. Whilst speaking with them I asked them about the swirl flaps as the engine is gonna be in bits anyway. They were aware of the issue on the older cars but did not seamed too concerned. They commented that they don't come across many call about this and as such said they would leave it to me to decide if I wanted to have this additional work done. I wasn't looking for them to cover any cost so was interested by their response. I asked if this should be something that should be considered as part of one of the service schedules and again they said there weren't that many cases to merit it????????

I'm kind thinking better safe than sorry.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Nice one Debsd asking the techs at the dealership the direct question :)

But how long do you leave it in between to degunk the swirl flaps, as per other forum link? Every service, every 2 services etc? I know it's better safe than sorry but are you gonna change tyres after there 2mm worn just to be better safe than sorry?

Sorry not having a dig at you at all, just thinking out loud :) Red :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts